Discussions about the risks of losing the right to freedom camp and how to counter these.
 #97223  by Teardrop
 Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:01 am
Mark wrote:Apart from 4 areas well outside of Rotorua, ALL areas are "unuathorised".
Out of interest Mark, are those areas Guy Roe Reserve, Vaile Reserve, Trout Pool Carpark and Lake Okaro, because if so, they come at a significant price, or they did last time I was at any of them ($6.00 per night per person from memory, or may have been $8.00).

The following link is on the RDC Website:

http://www.rdc.govt.nz/our-city/Parksan ... fault.aspx

Which confirms that the inner city is day parking only. Which we are allowed to do anyway. And they say they discourage freedom campers. So the more I read here and look into it, the more I ask why NZMCA has given them MHF status?

Dene
 #97231  by Mark
 Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:35 am
So the more I read here and look into it, the more I ask why NZMCA has given them MHF status?
I didn't say a word...

Yes, those are the areas that I referred to. There is another area at Boyes Beach at Lake Okareka, which I know you have to pay for.
Since Boyes Beach was not included in their list of 4 authorised freedom camping sites, I assumed that the other sites were, in fact, free.
 #97259  by wedgie
 Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:57 pm
wedgie wrote:If you belong to NZMCA you can stay at the CT club at the north end of Rotorua or Ngongotaha at the south end .
That is the NZMCA site in Ngongotaha at the north end not the south and CT club at the south end not the north end of Rotorua must have been not thinking. If you need free/low cost camping the best way to go is join the NZMCA, It may cost $200 for the first year then $80 p/a but you will save that in site fees and SC check that are free to members and don't forget special rate on the Bluebridge and Interislander ferry.
 #97270  by Teardrop
 Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:05 pm
Mark, checked the RDC website and it confirms that Guy Roe Reserve is $8.00 per person per night (we gave it up because we had the 4 of us when they introduced that - used to be $6.00 per van)). Doesn't mention any payment at the others, but I know there used to be at Boyes and Trout Pool and assume there still is - same price I think.

Wedgie, understand what you are saying but this heading is about freedom camping in Rotorua and the MHF given to the area. The NZMCA Park at Ngongataha and CT Club is not relevant to that.

Dene
 #97275  by Roamnz
 Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:49 pm
The Hamilton meeting where Bruce Lochore will speak is in Dinsdale tonight at the Classic Museum Bellair Lounge, 11 Railside Place, at 7.00pm. This would seem to be an ideal time for those unhappy with the MFT concept as it pertains to Rotorua city, to go along and ask the relevant questions. If not this meeting then possibly the last meeting of this series in the Eastern BOP area.

We found Bruce L very forth coming with answers to questions from members when we attended the Taupo meeting recently.
 #97276  by Mark
 Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:02 pm
OK. Here is the good oil.

I did a "mystery shopper" excercise in Rotorua a couple of days ago.

I looked at their website, which told me that all the allowed freedom camping areas were well outside the city and which also said the those found FC within the city would be asked to relocate to a designated camp.

I looked at their parking bylaw, which told me that I could park my MH on any city street for up to 7 consecutive days BUT that it was not legal to occupy said MH.

I rang the council and asked where I could stay overnight in Rotorua, to which I was informed, eventually, after much consulting of web pages and asking "those who know these things", "It is illegal to freedom camp in Rotorua"

I rang the iSite which told me "It is illegal to freedom camp in Rotorua."

I then mounted my high horse and penned an acerbic contribution to this thread. But instead decided to see what Bruce Lochore had to say about what I'd found.

Bruce has just replied. He's still on the road and so has not been able to access and post anything on the forum. But here is the crux of what he says. (In fact, I'm sure he won't mind if I quote him verbatim - avoids any "interpretation" :) )
Answers to the points raised are.

Both the Freedom camping statement on their web page and 21.2 of their Parking bylaws were to be altered. This was agreed prior to them becoming MHF

I have been in touch with them today and they are fixing it.

The customer service question is also being addressed. It appears the message has not got through yet, this is not uncommon as we have similar issues with I-sites around the country from time to time.

21 CARAVANS / CAMPER VEHICLES

21.1 No person shall stop, stand or park any caravan, camper vehicle, house bus or mobile home on any road for any continuous

period exceeding seven days without the prior written consent of Council.

21.2 was and should have been removed. (This is a result of the TCDC decision) They are working on this now.

This leaves FC for up to 7 days which is more than acceptable.

There is also overnight parking for 9 CSC vehicles at Government Garden campervan park with CCTV. Non CSC vehicles can park there through the day but not at night.

They are also looking at a new dump station.
So, it seems that the RDC has not yet had time to make the changes to their website, their bylaw, and their staff training needed to implement their side of the deal.

The NZMCA clearly made the Motorhome Friendly announcement in good faith (and probably a tad before the RDC would have liked - but hey, it was a pretty good announcement to be able to make at the Rotorua presentation)

So thanks to Bruce for clearing that up for us.

Maybe we should send another mystery shopper in a month's time :-T
 #97278  by Paul
 Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:05 pm
Hi Good information flow. Thanks Mark. Paul
 #97279  by vansvilla
 Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:07 pm
Well done Mark, knew there would be a logical answer.
Pay with Paymate Express