Discussions about the risks of losing the right to freedom camp and how to counter these.
 #97282  by Mark
 Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:23 pm
Some ears must have been burning at the RDC: they've just sent me a rates demand :o ;)
 #97285  by wedgie
 Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:02 pm
It's a good start maybe if the users look after the site the RLDC may look at more sites.

Thanks for the info Mark.
 #97291  by Teardrop
 Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:14 pm
"No person shall stop, stand or park any caravan, camper vehicle, house bus or mobile home on any road for any continuous

period exceeding seven days without the prior written consent of Council."

Thanks Mark. My problem here is that I don't tend to target camping on roads. I am more interested in other generally more appealing places, like Parks which seems to be still unavailable. So for me, nothing much seems to have changed. What I would like to see is that either each LA website or the MHF website actually lists a number of decent places you can stay for free or low cost. We should not have to go through all this to try and figure things out.

Dene
 #97312  by GordonMac
 Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:23 pm
Right from when the parking was first mentioned they stated it was for daytime parking. Be interesting to see if the plan has had an after the last minute change.
Here is a link to the original article http://tinyurl.com/oe6g58o
 #100687  by Teardrop
 Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:31 pm
Just thought that enough time has passed to now add here that nothing seems to have changed or improved at Rotorua and if motorhomers think the town is motorhome friendly, then they need to think again.

http://www.rdc.govt.nz/our-city/Parksan ... fault.aspx

Note the size of the district, and the number of available places to freedom camp. Then note that Trout Pool and Guy Roe are charged at $8.00 per person (not sure about the other two). The city parking is stated as daytime only.

I remain convinced that giving Rotorua MHF status is a huge error on the part of NZMCA and it detracts from the relevance of the entire MHF Scheme.

Dene
 #100688  by Mark
 Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:50 pm
I can also confirm that the Traffic Bylaw, which was to have been altered to allow over-nighting on any street, has not yet been altered as agreed with the NZMCA.

There may have been some movement with staff on FC because last time I did a "mystery shopper" exercise, I was informed that staff will not be taking any action against campervans parked on the street, as long as they were self-contained.

I personally don't think that is good enough, because, as it stands, you would still be in breach of their bylaw. I don't believe it is good practice if the only way you can achieve the outcome you want is to turn a blind eye to the requirements of one of your bylaws.
 #100692  by cherokee94nz
 Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:01 pm
Parked up in my favourite spot in Rotorua. Have the bonus of free internet from a close Hotel.
 #100699  by NeilV
 Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:19 pm
cherokee94nz wrote:Parked up in my favourite spot in Rotorua. Have the bonus of free internet from a close Hotel.
Do share?
Pay with Paymate Express