Discussions about the risks of losing the right to freedom camp and how to counter these.
 #97141  by Mark
 Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:11 pm
I haven't yet had the time to test the information supplied to MH visitors through the iSite or the council office but I have to say I agree with Dene 100% at this stage: this carrot ("Motorhome Friendly" status) needs to be granted sparingly and only to those councils that are truly friendly. If not, it will become meaningless and of no ultimate value to motorhomers.

But I will reserve my judgement on Rotorua until I have searched beyond their website (which is not encouraging).
 #97145  by Harvey
 Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:33 pm
Mark wrote: It is a closely guarded secret (certainly not volunteered, as you would expect of a "friendly" council) that you may also park overnight on roadside reserves.
Hi Mark, would you mind giving a fuller description of a "roadside reserve", i.e. is it a pullover area, or something like a picnic area, or is the bit of land that runs along the side of all roads?

Thanks

Harvey
 #97147  by Mark
 Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:34 pm
Hi Harvey. Probably part of the "secret", but I would read a roadside reserve as being somewhere with a significant pull-off, rather than just the normal road verge.
I have been trying to get a geo-tagged list of rest areas from NZTA for the past week or so, with mixed results. Rest areas are possibly considered to be "roadside reserves" but maybe they come under the NZTA ownership. Not sure.
 #97184  by GordonMac
 Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:07 pm
I had a look at the Rotorua Motorhome parking area today and I would expect large rigs would be hard pressed to use it particularly if there were others already parked. At an estimate anything over 5.5 to 6.0 mtrs would be a hassle.

As it was today @ 1pm there was one Juicy Rental back backer van there along with two non camper private vehicles.

Why they didn't just make it free overnight parking for csc vehicles I don't know but then much of what the Rotorua council does is like that.

A few parks around a public toilet for non csc campers could be easily done too.

I guess there is no incentive now that they have the seal of approval from the NZMCA, possibly an opportunity lost.

PS I'm not a member of the NZMCA, used to be years ago but still have a small van I'm considering using again.
 #97192  by Teardrop
 Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:34 pm
Thanks Gordon, that size limitation would rule many of us out, so I am wondering where else to go in MHF Rotorua? Even if they actually allow you to go to a lot of other places, they need to tell people where.

Dene
 #97198  by wedgie
 Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:22 pm
If you belong to NZMCA you can stay at the CT club at the north end of Rotorua or Ngongotaha at the south end. Is Rotorua MHF or Just NZMCA friendly .
 #97199  by Gingernutty
 Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:18 pm
I see that according to the Rotorua Lakes Community Board meeting agenda for 7 May 2015 that they 'have a council policy in place regarding freedom camping but no bylaw', which means freedom campers camping in unauthorised areas 'can be discouraged but not really enforced' :) in their own words
 #97222  by Mark
 Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:40 am
Apart from 4 areas well outside of Rotorua, ALL areas are "unuathorised".
Which means, by their own words, all freedom camping within Rotorua "can be discouraged".
Pay with Paymate Express