Discussions about the risks of losing the right to freedom camp and how to counter these.
 #114792  by beachy12
 Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:33 pm
One of the issues seems to be the sleeper cars are excluded from being csc as i understand from information supplied they don't have the head height to comply with the new rules of needing head and shoulder room, does any one know what these clearances are?
 #114805  by Zukiwi
 Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:20 pm
:TU :TU :TU
 #114812  by NeilV
 Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:36 am
beachy12 wrote:One of the issues seems to be the sleeper cars are excluded from being csc as i understand from information supplied they don't have the head height to comply with the new rules of needing head and shoulder room, does any one know what these clearances are?
And as I said, whether CSC 'compliant' or not, there's no reason not to be clean anyway, for sub $200 you can 'freecamp' cleanly anyway.
 #114813  by david 60
 Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:10 am
Neil ,
THAT is the most logical idea put forward so far, compulsory $200 portable toilet, and a 20 Ltd water for dishes. They can shower in a river, or who cares if they shower at all.

The bitch about these campers is toilet problems which will be solved by a compulsory portable unit.
NOW someone will climb into me about policing the use of them, and they will be dead right, Sever penilties including deportation

Yes until education kicks in it will be hard to police, but with a few motor Homers keeping an eye on them treating them with deportation it I'll happen.

Don't loose site the problem is toileting
 #114833  by KARAVANA
 Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:35 pm
They will not use it.

The commercial vans have them now, after some casual conversations when doing farm tours they have many and varied reasons why they wont use it.

It has to be set up outside the van, especially if its a group of friends travelling rather than a couple.
They don't want to clean it. Some believe there will be an extra charge if they do use it.
The smell if it is offensive to them.
Its often stored next to a food prep area. :TU
No privacy outside so it has to place behind a bush and why carry something to a place you can squat anyway.
NZ doesn't care, everyone is doing it...... :evil:
Most would be happy in camps if they had to, especially if there are a few extras like free wifi.
Girls often mention they can talk their way out of a fine or infringement notice, and most believe its not that serious. (the ones clamped in Qtown weren't so flippant)
Some even said DOC fees are per site rather per person :shock:

To keep the conversation going I cant inject my views I mostly just answer questions.

Guests words not mine and aprox 300 of this type of tourist per month over the summer give or take.
 #114835  by Doit
 Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:47 pm
Perhaps the freedom camping sites should have a special bin where 'supermarket' bags of poo could be deposited, then they could carry their bag lined bucket in to the bush for privacy, then deposit the bag in the bin for collection. Up the fines for pooing in the bush. Even at Five mile bay I noticed tissues and paper in the bush opposite the toilet.
A step further would be DNA tests and Credit card swipes on entering NZ..... you can imagine the rest.
 #114847  by Zukiwi
 Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:55 pm
david 60 wrote:Don't loose site the problem is toileting
That is some of the problem in a few places. But increasingly it's more than that, witness the OP. Some communities are getting hosed off about the sheer numbers of freedom campers swamping small local areas and, while not necessarily preventing local use of those places, certainly affecting their enjoyment of them. If the campers' behaviour leaves something to be desired then that adds to the angst. It is becoming an issue of space and place as much as anything else.
KARAVANA wrote:They will not use it.
The commercial vans have them now, after some casual conversations when doing farm tours they have many and varied reasons why they wont use it.
Sadly, I think you're right. And if that attitude persists and we want to continue attracting these campers, we need to provide places and facilities for them.
Doit wrote: Even at Five mile bay I noticed tissues and paper in the bush opposite the toilet.
Quite likely, but don't automatically assume its because they're toileting in the bushes (or at least dumping). I've done a few clean-ups at 5MB, including last year's NZMCA Spring Clean, and have never seen evidence of defecating there. And after all, there's only 1 long drop toilet at 5MB and up to 90 people a night camping there at peak times. So, as previously, more facilities needed.

And the inertia of some local authorities and perhaps unwillingness to use the tools available (FCA bylaws, infringement notices) probably has a lot to do with encouraging a culture of defiance or at least dismissiveness of the law. There are only about 4 or 5 of the 50-plus local authorities who actively enforce a FCA bylaw. That doesn't send much of a message and it's hard to sympathise with those others who bemoan the supposed negatives of FC but don't do anything about it.

Cheers
John
Pay with Paymate Express