Discussions about the risks of losing the right to freedom camp and how to counter these.
 #121909  by Mark
 Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:29 pm
They have an FCA bylaw which can be seen here: http://econtent.tauranga.govt.nz/data/d ... w_2013.pdf

It's quite difficult for a city to provide for Freedom Camping while keeping residents on-side. I think they've done a good job.

From a starting point that allows FC in commercial and industrial areas (shown on a map) they then move to restricting FC in residential areas to vehicles that weigh less than 3.5 tonnes GVM. Some restrictions apply eg CSC only, not directly in front of premises etc.

They then list reserves where FC is prohibited, but also provide an list of places, scattered throughout the city where FC is allowed, with plenty on the coast or harbour's edge, complete with location maps. There are 66 parking places allocated for use on any night of the week and a further 30 that may be used Sunday to Thursday inclusive.

I'd give them a 4.5 stars for their efforts :TU Very impressed.
 #121937  by Nut17
 Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:44 pm
I think that we will have to collate all your analysis and have it available as a link Mark. You are making some places sound far more reasonable than I thought possible :TU

Cheers
Chris
 #121951  by Mark
 Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:56 am
Nut17 wrote:You are making some places sound far more reasonable than I thought possible :TU

Cheers
Chris
It just might be that my attitude to motorhomers has hardened somewhat after the appalling and intimidatory way "we" took over ANZAC Bay (and consequently lost many of our "rights" in that area.

Intimidatory?
One Harley Davidson does not worry many people: but how about 30; all part of the same gang; wearing their patches (wings) and congregating and drinking in public and acting as if they own the place? (not quite tongue-in-cheek).
 #122008  by Zukiwi
 Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:37 pm
Yeah, we're frequently our own worst enemies. In some respects I think it's due to the rapid growth of the association and a lack of awareness of the community values of motorhoming. Having said that, some of the most arrogant (and aggressive) behaviour I've seen has been from long-time NZMCA members.

Cheers
John
Pay with Paymate Express