Discussions about the risks of losing the right to freedom camp and how to counter these.
 #124167  by muffin
 Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:20 pm
So here we are down in Marlborough, freedom camping so to speak, but for the fees we inevitably pay.

At a DOC site on the coast, the standard but newly raised fee of $8 ppn is payable for us campers. Now if one arrived at 6 am, used the boat ramp, went fishing all day, then used the toilets, and the cleaning table and the suppled water, departing at 7pm.... its no charge...have a nice day.

But on the other hand it one arrives at 7pm and stays through to 8am next day, using no more facilities than the day trip per, its wham bam thank you mam, that will be $16.

So what extra service have DOC supplied the camper compared with the day tripper?

Nothing, that's what, and to add insult to injury, they do not even supply refuse removal services.

Like an ever increasing number of sites, its "pack in pack out". The modern rationale. Except of course if every site was to adopt it, we'd all need trailers. :?

In my view if it's good enough for the locals to sell you the KFC and the Corbans, the cabbage and the corn, then it's good enough for them to take ownership of the resultant refuse.

Perhaps we do not demand enough from those who charge us fees . In my opinion refuse removal should be a part of the standard sanitation requirements of any paid campsite, unpopular as that view might be. :)
 #124168  by mattn
 Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:40 pm
I sort of agree, but, and this the question I put to you - how much are you prepared to pay for it. That $8 will become $10 (Most $15 and $18 a night DOC camps do get rubbish collection)

Without going into the argument about prices and whats fair, and is it fair that day uses get the same thing for free etc (another unrelated issue), rubbish collection disposal incurs a cost someone has to pay. DOC is underfunded and will choose to pass that extra cost on. The only way I would support this is if its done though the central government being convinced that the funding for such services must be increased.

The bigger picture is the reason for this change is the increased number of tourists, local and international, using DOC camp sites. From what I have seen, sites that a few years ago the rubbish could be thrown on the back of the rangers utes once a week now require a daily rubbish truck run. The essence of it is infrastructure is not keeping up with increased demand because the profits from tourism are held close to the profit makers and the once responsible for the infrastucture are seeing none of those profits.

Its election year, no better time to make some noise....
 #124178  by Derb
 Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:48 pm
With regard to rubbish disposal - we have had one of those clever "rubbish picky-uppy gizmo's" for 4 years now with the full intention of assisting in cleaning up roadside picnic areas etc and i have never used it. If I use it and fill up so much as a supermarket bag with rubbish, we have to find a dump and pay to dispose of it. We generate enough small bags of rubbish of our own when on the road (careful as we are) that finding somewhere to dispose of it is an issue. The problem as I see it (right or wrong) is that the moment some local authority places a new bin in a public place, it is promptly filled up! Once it is filled up - it stays that way. Then other rubbish magically seems to gravitate to the sides of the bin (like it has it's own gravitational pull) and then you have an unsightly mess. The councils are also very clever to stop us from responsibly using the bins by creating clever lids to stop us depositing supermarket sized bags of rubbish in them. We are not even offered the opportunity to pay for rubbish disposal in bins similar to clothing donation type bins with a coin slot. In some "Burgs" it is a mission to even find a rubbish bin at all! You gotta make it easy for people to be tidy - most will take the opportunity to use a bin if it is available - even if not necessarily free.
 #124186  by muffin
 Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:58 pm
Was just talking to a DOC camp volunteer an hour back. He bandied about the figure of 87,000 campers for a certain SI hot spot over summer ..... 87,000 x $8= not enough cash for a bin or two....hmmmmmm. :cry:
 #124189  by Mick
 Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:29 pm
DOC said they "just" upgraded
- basic camp sites from $6 to $8 (+$2)
- scenic sites from $10 to $13 (+$3)
- those luxury ones (forgot the category name) by +$4 to $18 or $19 (those with dump station and washing machines, etc)

BUT they silently upgraded lots of "basic" campsites (highly frequented ones) to "scenic" sites in the same run which comes then even to an increase from $6 to $13!!! :o
Real naughty, seems they need a hell more of those nice huge trucks they drive.
 #124192  by muffin
 Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:47 am
What DOC don't seem to realise, is that at $14 upwards they are competing with a number of commercial campsites. Geographic considerations aside, it would seem to me, that usually the commercial campgrounds offer a bit more for the money than a piece of rough ground next to a composting long drop a car load of hippies and non potable water. 8-)
 #124203  by WoodyZ
 Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:30 pm
The previous two posts are only marginally on topic. I have just removed one which was well off topic as is was a query about camp ground charges, please start a post in a more suitable area for discussing charges.
Thank you
Pay with Paymate Express