#12251  by WoodyZ
 Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:20 am
I did neglect to address the matter of your plugs. What I have on is the 12 pin plug as per Chris' picture above. If that is enough pins for you it gives a nice tidy installation. It does not supply enough heavy duty terminals for my rig so I also have a 4 pin heavy duty round plug as well. My breaking system calls for the use of most of the 12 flat plug pins hence the need for another plug.

12 volt power is only supplied to the 5th wheeler while the engine is running.
 #12657  by rawill
 Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:18 am
Hi Troppo

Unless you have some kind of smart charging system in the caravan I think you will need more than a 12v feed from the battery.

I would suggest you talk to Peter West at West Electronics. His ABC system is great for what you want to do.
He sometimes advertises in the Motor Caravanner.
 #12661  by WoodyZ
 Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:18 am
A couple of sparkies I have spoken to said that just a direct coupling is ok as the alternator takes care of the charging process.

I would agree that having a smart charger in the van would be a good idea, it will take better care of your batteries.

I have a Redarc BMS smart charger in my system. I wired up the plugs yesterday and temporarily connected the truck power wires to the charger and that is all working well for me while the engine is running.
 #12669  by Nut17
 Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:13 pm
Hi Troppo,

For a reasonably modest investment (A$249) I have fitted a Sidewinder 12v - 12v multi stage charger. This unit still requires a reasonable power supply from your tow vehicle but will operate from an input voltage as low as 8v. It has a maximum output of 30amps and is supported by a lot of positive industry comment. It is much cheaper than the Redarc equivalent.

The photo shows my installation.

For more info, go to: http://www.sidewinder.com.au/page168aa.html

Cheers Chris
Attachments
568.jpg
568.jpg (67.2 KiB) Viewed 416 times
Pay with Paymate Express