#117538  by joncar
 Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:33 pm
Have just received a quote to carry out gas fitting and certification for my new MH project.
It is a basic set up with gas hobs and Suburban water heater below the hobs. The gas bottle is in an under floor location opposite the gas appliances. As an extra, I am having a 'T' inserted for future gas heater which is to one side of the bottle, above the floor.
The quote, in 2 stages - 1st to pipe out so I can complete the cabinetry and the final stage to connect and test everything, comes to $1599 incl. There is 2x travel built in to this as I live rural, approx 90km in total. Charge out rate is $70 +GST. I was expecting in the region of $1200. I have to supply the gas detector unit.I live in Manawatu.
Appreciate your input.
 #117983  by joncar
 Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:01 pm
Have received another quote from a local firm.
$1205 incl GST. Also includes a couple of on/off valves in case I needed to isolate one of the units owing to a fault etc. I need to drop off the m/home to their workshop, which saves on travel time!
John
 #117988  by NeilV
 Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:39 pm
Yes, $70/h seems about right. Also (as you've discovered) taking the MH to them cuts a couple Hindu off in travel (90km is at least an hour extra +mileage) and I also sought to make the time take less by having a detailed discussion with the gas man I was using and then drilling out the whole plumbing path myself. Basically all he needed to do then was 2hrs labour to run all the piping through and connect it all up, my similar job was around $800 with parts I think?
 #117990  by BUSRSQ
 Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:57 pm
pretty much any Trade person will have a charge out rate of between $65 and $100, any less and I would start to worry how "good" they are.
My rate ( 25 years as a bus mechanic and 4 years as a fitter, turner, ) is around the $80 mark, but as I dont live in a city my overheads are a wee bit lower
 #118024  by joncar
 Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:55 am
I checked that it included the Cert. and it does. :TU
I may have an extra cost (labour) when it comes to commissioning the 'Suburban' water heater unit. There seems to be so much to be done - left me a bit confused. (Tis a gas/240v unit).
 #118078  by Minnie
 Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:21 pm
linrae wrote:Find out what he charges to give a Gas Cert as some want to charge 2 arms and legs for THAT piece of paper extra to actual job
I would note that the certification is not an optional extra. The gasfitter is legally obliged to provide the certification and he must do so within a certain time frame otherwise he commits an offense that may attract a $1000 instant fine.
Pay with Paymate Express