#124323  by pipeking
 Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:50 pm
Hi, I asked this question in another thread, sorry about that.

Ok, is there a gas install certificate or anything similar that I should have if I have a gas hob and califont fitted in my motor home? I can't see anything in the paperwork, I have the electrical WOEF and it has cert plates etc on the chassis (it was a conversion) but nothing for the LPG.

thanks in advance

Damon
 #124328  by Minnie
 Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:10 am
pipeking wrote:Hi, I asked this question in another thread, sorry about that.

Ok, is there a gas install certificate or anything similar that I should have if I have a gas hob and califont fitted in my motor home? I can't see anything in the paperwork, I have the electrical WOEF and it has cert plates etc on the chassis (it was a conversion) but nothing for the LPG.

thanks in advance

Damon
This is a new install?

All gasfitting must be carried out by a person authorised by the PGDB ("plumbers board"). Usually a tradesman gasfitter or a certifying gasfitter.

All gasfitting work in a caravan must comply with the installation standard AS/NZS5601.2:2013. This standard does not allow "califonts" in spaces that contain sleeping quarters.

Once completed all gasfitting work must be certified by a certifying gasfitter.
 #124329  by Mark
 Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:21 am
Minnie wrote: Once completed all gasfitting work must be certified by a certifying gasfitter.
How is this documented, Minnie?
I don't have any certificate covering my (old) installation - and I doubt that many of us do.
Is it only required for installations completed, or altered, since a particular date?
 #124332  by Minnie
 Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:31 am
Mark wrote:
Minnie wrote: Once completed all gasfitting work must be certified by a certifying gasfitter.
How is this documented, Minnie?
I don't have any certificate covering my (old) installation - and I doubt that many of us do.
Is it only required for installations completed, or altered, since a particular date?
A short history of gasfitting in caravans

Gas installation work has always (since 1993) been required to comply with the then current gas installation code.

For a very long time the work didn't have to be carried out by a licensed person if the supply cylinder was less then 15 kg.

In April 2010 all gasfitting became licensed work — the <15kg exemption was removed.

In May 2010 the current gas regulations came into force. The regulations required certification of gasfitting but continued the <15kg exemption from certification.

In July 2013 a new certification regime was introduced that removed the <15kg exemption. All gasfitting from that point must be certified.

Depending on when your gas installation was built the above should tell you whether it should have had certification in the first place.

If you are looking to get something now for your existing gas installation you can ask a gasfitter to do a "Certificate of Verification" under NZS 5255: Safety verification of existing installations. This certificate won't tell you that the installation is fully compliant with the current requirements (the gasfitter won't be able to do this—he can't see the piping in the walls for instance).

Instead it will be a certificate stating that the installation is not unsafe and may be used.
 #124334  by mattn
 Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:16 am
Thanks Minnie - That is a fantastic summary that clearly and accurately deals with what is a very confusing issue for many people.

One question - as I understand, a "Certificate of Verification" is a useful way to know the installation is safe to use, but there is no legal requirement for it to use or sell an installation - am I correct?

Perhaps you could put this into its own thread and make it sticky. Something along the lines of "What is the Law regarding my Gas installation"
 #124350  by pipeking
 Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:57 pm
wow thanks for the replies people, especially Minnie, that explained it well.

Ours was built in 2011 so I guess it doesn't need anything :TU I have a mate who is a registered gas fitter so I will see if he can suss me out a few repairs on the hmmm sketchy fittings and one of those certificates :D
 #124351  by pipeking
 Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:58 pm
I thought the califont was ok inside if it was 'sealed' and had a flue?
Pay with Paymate Express