#133992  by Carren
 Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:00 pm
Probably a silly question but are you meant to turn your gas bottle on all the way “on” - as in, turn it on until it won’t go any further. Or should you only have it partially open/on?
 #133995  by mattn
 Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:18 pm
I always turn it on all the way, the back off a tweak so its not tight.

I had an experience years ago where I was having trouble running a heater and cooker, I put it down to bad gas and cold weather, only to find when I turned the bottle off before leaving it was only cracked open 1/4 turn (No idea hwy I would have done that, must have been in a hurry/got distracted.).
 #134021  by beanpole
 Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:42 pm
Just a small point when using a gas bottle, we were taught on a gas welding course (many years ago) to only turn the bottle on sufficient to get enough gas through for use. The reason being that if anything went wrong, it was far quicker to turn it off.
Gordon
 #149361  by Skiwi
 Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:15 am
I turn it all the way on, just because I cant easily see the direction arrows on the valve, that way it removes any confusion whether I'm turning it on or off.

Cheers
Skiwi
 #149599  by DarrenM
 Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:31 am
I have never turned a gas bottle on more than about half a turn. Its gas, its keen to get out and only needs a little gap.
And as mentioned above, if I ever need to turn it off in a hurry Im only half a turn away from safety
 #149602  by Neddy
 Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:09 pm
From the BOC manual :-
"An opened valve should never be left against the backstop (i.e. fully
opened until resistance is encountered), but should be turned back at
least half a turn to avoid seizure in an open position."
 #149609  by purdiegood
 Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:44 pm
What I was told many years ago was that an LPG Cylinder should be turned on fully, without opening it too firmly. Reason that the seal on the shaft is engaged and no chance of leakage past it. Lets not confuse high pressure cylinders with LP cylinders. Regards Brian
 #150472  by Legs11
 Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:47 pm
As the modern QCC valve has a check valve builtin to it thus if nothing is connected to valve, even when open nothing will come out of the LPG cylinder valve. Therefore if you have nothing connected to it and the valve has been left on from the last time of use, nothing will come out , you try to turn the valve ON and it wont move! Brain will say "the valve is jammed SHUT", wrong! don't use a stillson wrench to open it, first try to CLOSE the valve. Thus never fully open the valve, if you must, always put a turn back from fully open, then use the cylinder. then the next time you go to open the valve it will move, brain will say "oh bother didn't shut the valve last time."
A bit wordy but hopefully gets the message across.
Pay with Paymate Express