#134132  by Meanderthals
 Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:38 pm
We cook on a rather old Rinnai bench cooker (ex 1970's Viscount caravan) which runs perfectly - except for one of its igniters which has died on us. The igniters are powered by 2 x 1.5V (size D) batteries, and have an edison-screw base (just like a conventional torch bulb). They are the type where the filament glows to ignite the gas, not the more modern type that emits a spark. I can see that the filament has blown on the failed igniter. We can still light the burner with a match or BBQ wand, but there ain't nothing like auto-ignition. I emailed the Rinnai Australia spare-parts dept and could hear their laughter from this side of the Tasman :o

A long shot I know, but does anyone have an old cooker laying around with this old style igniter or two that we could buy?

#134166  by Holistic Palace
 Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:53 pm
Yep, I was about to say the same thing about replacing the cooker
Our first motorhome had an old cooker, it did not shut down properly, so it filled the motorhome with gas, setting off the gas alarm, when I opened the MH door hours later, it stunk of gas... not a good feeling
 #148516  by Derb
 Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:38 pm
We failed a gas compliance on the original 1980 stove which was a real champion of a cooker c/w piezo ignition. Had no flame sensor so the "gas man" replaced it with a modern cooker which we now have to light with a bloody match. The original cooker was a far better quality unit than the new one which looks out of place in the old van. The same "gas man" (who happens to operate out of the new industrial estate near Tauriko along with other associated van services) failed the new 3 way fridge which had been installed in the original cavity which had worked fine with the original fridge for 40 years. After the 2.5k "plus"spent on the old van (much of it with him) and numerous trips back and forth from Kawerau to Tauranga, he no longer gets my trade................... :evil:
 #148603  by canfixltd
 Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:15 pm
Hi, interesting comments have been made and I feel for you and understand why you feel unhappy,
firstly the old lighter unit, very hard to find but I have heard of the old type fuse wire being soldered in place to bring them back to life, if it worked?? no idea, but as others have said and you have done, updating appliances, the biggest problems out there is what understanding everyone has when it comes to GAS, and they have been regulations out they going back many years of which most know nothing about, today in short if it has anything to do with LPG/Gas only someone with the correct license is to do the work, to undertake any of this without a license is very risky and could be very costly if something goes wrong.
facts are: if your gas system and appliances were installed to the regulations at the time it was fitted, then that standard stay current but any changes done must meet the latest standards, the rules also say that if you have a gas system that is in any way unsafe?? not working correctly in any way you must do something about it, the end goal is a safe gas system! as for a cook top that you have to light with a match, here in NZ we have a very limited number of appliances approved for a number of reasons, today with so many old caravans and motorhomes out they, you would be surprised how many have LPG/Gas systems that were not done to any standard at all.
Pay with Paymate Express