#143357  by Magz
 Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:01 pm
I posted this earlier today but there seems to have been a problem with the site and my post has vanished so here it is again.

The gas controller in our motorhome stated playing up so the auto electrician took it out the solenoid and joined the wires so we could still get gas for when we had to go away for an appointment. That worked ok apart from not being able to get the heater or water heater wouldn’t go. The day before we were due to go home the stove wouldn’t light and when we checked the gas bottle we found the solenoid we so hot you couldn’t keep your hand on it. We shut of the gas and had a cold drink for lunch and decided to head home a day early.
While we were away we had extra solar panels installed and the installer told us that the bottom switch on the wall marked Gas/Heater was using 1 amp of our battery and suggested turning ot off when not needed but the trouble is it has to stay on in order to have gas for the fridge and stove to work.
We are thinking of ditching the gas controller and removing the solenoid from the gas line and getting a LPG/CO2 detector instead.
The problem with that is how will we be able to get both the heater and the hot water heaters to work?
Any suggestions will be welcome thank you.
 #143367  by Nut17
 Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:46 pm
We were keen to fit a solenoid shut off valve to our gas supply on our last van when we purchased it new in 2011. Our dealership went through the pros and cons at the time, and issues with current draw and low voltage failure were the main reasons we decided to opt for an LPG detector and not fit the solenoid. (We had not seen the light and fitted our lithium battery at that stage) ;)
A little off topic, but with my roadside spraying business I originally had five (liquid) solenoid valves that were a constant source of unreliability and frustration - But I was able to solve this issue with motor driven ball valves. These proved to be 100% reliable and only required current when actually being switched on or off. A gas version of one of these would be spot on :TU
 #143381  by RaymonD
 Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:32 pm
There is/was a pulse unit that fed the gas solenoid which reduced the solenoid current simply by pulsing it's supply, was made in NZ, we never had a problem with it.
 #143386  by Neddy
 Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:15 am
"Pulse and Hold" units are still made in NZ, Ray.
See viewtopic.php?f=55&t=9075 for details!

Magz, solenoid LPG valves are really good if you are turning the gas on and off frequently. In a yacht, for example, you would never fit a 3-way LPG fridge and the LPG would only be turned on to run the stove and even then turned off at the bottle immediately after each and every use. In your situation (running an LPG fridge) you want the gas turned on pretty much all the time. Solenoid valves commonly draw about an Amp and constitute a significant battery drain if left on a lot. Even with the use of "Pulse and Hold" circuitry (as discussed above), for you, a solenoid-controlled LPG valve is a needless complication and a waste of electricity. I would advise you to totally remove the one you have got and fit a gas detector.

Neville.
 #143481  by cowisp
 Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:26 pm
I have made and fitted a Pulse and Hold solenoid fitting from a design I got off this forum and so far have had no problem. The Pulse only works for one or two seconds and draws 1 Amp but when the Hold kicks in it draws 0.1 Amp.
 #148808  by canfixltd
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:02 pm
if you do not trust your gas systems or appliances to the point you feel you need shut off valves, you really need to have everything fully checked out, first check your flame failure units to see if they work correctly, light and run for a minute and blow out the flame, the gas should turn off in about 30 sec, you should hear a little click, if you do not have these in an appliances, update them ASAP.

the idea of a solenoid may sound good but they heat up, connected to a gas system is not a great idea and I do know why the HWC etc would not light or work correctly too,

it is best to work with a licensed person that specializes in this, your life could depend on it.
 #148833  by RaymonD
 Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:29 pm
30 seconds worth of LPG would make a big flash if ignited.
The pulsed solenoids do not get any warmer than a hot day heat up.
Solenoid protection is a SAFETY issue, I thought the regulations were imposed upon us as a safety issue ( I have and will maintain that this is just another bogeyman impose by the regulators at the behest of the trade)
To say not use a solenoid just keep a check on your appliances means what..get a certified gas fitter to check them every time you feel a bit unsure about something.. at how much an hour..it's all to do with the mighty dollar.
I fitted out a 6 metre, and 9 metre bus conversion with LPG Stove/Oven, Air Heater and 3 way fridge/freezer with never a problem over a large number of years and KM's, and all Freedom camping.
Pay with Paymate Express