#144437  by barrierboy1
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:19 pm
Hi all, I have looked through previous years posts but am still a bit unsure about the below.. any help is much appreciated

I have a 1975 classic caravan, I am wanting to have a small gas hob inside, and am needing to run a pipe for the gas from the bottle which will sit on the draw bar, do I need to get this done by a registered gas fitter?

Can someone point me in the direction or let me know of any regulations I need to be aware of?

Also is it still legal to have the 9kg gas bottle situated on the drawbar?

Thanks in advance
 #144441  by mattn
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:08 pm
Regulations are here http://legislation.govt.nz/act/public/2 ... #DLM397084

You will need a gas fitter to supervise any work, refer Section 21 Exemption for gasfitting under supervision. The gas fitter will be able to answer any questions you have. To get started have a read of https://www.nzmca.org.nz/news/gas-requirements

If the caravan previously had gas, and used to carry the gas bottle on the draw bar, even if regulations have changed, you will still be allowed to do so as regulation changes are not retrospective. As far as I know there is still no regulation prevent gas bottles on the draw bar.
 #144457  by Derb
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:13 am
Just got our old Zephette Gas Complianced. Bottle on drawbar. Existing fittings are good under grandfather clause. The moment any repairs/additions/alterations are made to the existing system you must get a registered gas-fitter involved and he may well insist on bringing the entire van up to current specs before putting his name to any work done on van.
 #148807  by canfixltd
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:43 pm
I saw a note regarding a person with a section 21 license, this is for a person in training and a person
with a section 21 can not provide anyone with any certs of any kind, all gas works can only be signed off by a fully license gas fitter or a person with a section 20 license as they specializes in the caravan and Motorhome industry.
 #148844  by Derb
 Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:33 am
This is a very heavily protected industry. You will find some absolute mutts out there who will screw you blind simply because you have little choice in the matter. Having said that, there are also some darn good Fellas also. Work on referrals from other vanners who have had a good experience. Check the NZMCA magazine for positive feedback. Cheers.
Pay with Paymate Express