#146739  by ipearx
 Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:15 pm
I've got a lovely 4Kg bottle in my campervan to run my stove top oven, but would like a second bottle so I have a chance to have the first refilled. Unfortunately I only have room for a 2Kg bottle.

From what I can see all 2Kg bottles come with 'Companion' camping fittings. But because the bottle is housed inside (in a well sealed, vented & NZ standards compliant compartment) the connection to the stove requires QCC.

So my questions are:
- Is there any way to adapt a companion bottle to a QCC connection?
- Or alternatively are there any 2Kg bottles with a QCC connection on it?

I don't have room for another 4Kg bottle, and don't really want a separate camping stovetop!
 #146745  by mattn
 Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:33 pm
This is not a recommendation - I would fire the idea it past a gas fitter before doing it

Its possible to get Companion Bottle - Pol Adapter, and a Pol Bottle - QCC adapter. Many of the Pol (bottle) to QCC adapters are designed for permanent use and have a thread lock compound ensuring a reliable seal.

One thing to be aware is the QCC bottles have a shutout valve if the volume of gas flowing out exceeds a maximum. The Companion does not (as far as I am aware) have this safety feature.
 #146751  by Minnie
 Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:28 pm
You may be able to get a Companion to QCC adaptor — there are all sorts of weird fittings available on the 'Net.

But would it be legal? The link below is a bit old and doesn't actually cover your query but I understand it to be still valid and gives you an idea of the sort of adaptors prohibited.

http://www.gasnz.org.nz/uploads/images/ ... Valves.pdf

I suspect most gasfitters won't have a good grasp of the niceties of the hazardous substances regulations and you may be better off making a query directly with the hazardous substances regulator, WorkSafe NZ.
 #146755  by Minnie
 Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:35 pm
Another thought — say you got a Christmas tree arrangement of adaptors fitted. As Matt said I think you are meant to have adaptors Locktighted to the main valve.

How are you going to get on when you rock up to a filling station to get the cylinder refilled?
 #146762  by mattn
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:26 am
Ring a gas bottle testing facility - they remove and install valves when testing bottles and may have a solution.
 #146764  by vansvilla
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:36 am
Definitely a question and specifically a job for a gas fitter, if you were in Palmerston North I'd say go around to National Gas and see Flash.
But I do wonder if the physical size of the bottle will be big enough to to keep up with the flow rate.
Is there enough surface area for the LPG to "boil" off into gas.
 #146810  by ipearx
 Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:21 am
Thanks for the feedback. I asked the local GasPro Waikato, they said no way. Next time I'll have to design a compartment for 2 x 4Kg bottles...
Pay with Paymate Express