#146793  by PJO
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:12 pm
I have a 12 year old brand new ATWOOD RV WATER SA425N which I have been told (not by a gasfitter) that this has been superseded by regulations etc.
However I have found this Declaration of Compliance on the Worksafe site http://www.energysafety.govt.nz/gasd-vi ... ionid=4279
Does this mean that a Gasfitter could fit and certify my water heater?
:?: :?:
 #146797  by Nut17
 Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:24 am
I would ring Camec and ask them. They were the NZ importers / Distributors named on the declaration so should be able to answer your question.
 #146805  by PJO
 Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:46 am
Thanks, I was hoping somebody in the industry could tell me definitely if such a declaration is still current and a would satisfy a gasfitter , Camac wouldn't commit themselves as they no longer sell that model.
 #146806  by NeilV
 Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:02 am
From your link: “Regardless of the existence of a supplier declaration, a person selling or installing an applicance must take all practicable steps to ensure the appliance is safe under all reasonably foreseeable circumstances.“

So even if camec can be pinned down to say “yes” then it’s still up to the gas fitter to decide if it suits modern gas laws (which are much stricter about being ‘room sealed’ now).

Ring the gas fitter you plan to use and ask them?

On that note, my Califont was an entirely legal internal installation (with a flue) ten years ago, but had to be externally located when installed 3 years ago. If you can roof mount, or (in my case) underfloor mount the LPG burner you should be sweet :TU
 #146812  by PJO
 Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:50 am
Thanks for that, this is your standard gas/electric externally vented storage heater that you see fitted to heaps of motorhomes. I guess the question I was asking is is the Certificate still current?
I realise I should be asking a professional this but I dont know any gasfitters (I need to find one) and I have the feeling anything to do with them is expensive
 #146819  by Minnie
 Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:16 pm
The "certificate" ( http://www.energysafety.govt.nz/gasd-vi ... ionid=4279) isn't a certificate as such (in fact it's singularly lacking in any sign of certification). It is a declaration or statement from the supplier (Camec) that the think the appliance is safe and compliant with the law. There is no approval from government on it.

Camec can't renege on it simply because they no longer sell it. They made that statement way back when and they are still responsible for it.

In theory, a gasfitter should be able to install this appliance as the declaration should have been valid at the time but as Neil points out there is a caveat on the page about the gasfitter still being responsible for taking reasonable step despite the declaration. If I was the gasfitter I would have my concerns about the lack of data on the declaration.

Neil's comments on the changing installation requirements for room sealed appliances isn't pertinent because it is a storage water heater (room sealed) isn't it?
 #146820  by PJO
 Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:47 pm
I thought this would be a simple yes or no but it seems more complicated.
Reading the writing on "Supplier Declaration of Compliance" it states that "Installers must ensure there is a declaration or carry a gas safety compliance mark before they install such a gas appliance." My heater has the declaration which has its Make,series and model number and I think this should be the information the gas-fitter needs before installing it .
I thought there must be a data base that gas-fitters can refer to so they know what complies and what does not, I assumed it would be the GASD Data base which would also let the public check whether an appliance complies before they buy it, now I am not sure!
 #146822  by NeilV
 Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:27 pm
Find a gas fitter (you need one to setup your rig anyway) and have them talk you through the install, and come run the pipes and install it when you’re ready.

They will only prevent this install if it’s not to current standards, and you need to know this before designing and building your rig out anyway?
Pay with Paymate Express