#147338  by NeilV
 Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:55 pm
So I had to get a gas man in to fix my MH as I lowered the main counter around 2-4cm in the recent renovation (read rebuild entire interior!) and the minor pipe shortening just cost me $100/h and $150 cert plus $72 parts and $49 GST really peed me off BUT...

The lady who came with to do all the writing intimated that there will imminently be a 4 yearly Gas recertification process (like the EWoF) which is currently under review governmentally?

I feel like this government is on a ‘gimme’ ride to screw my every last penny with Nanny State bubble wrap! Has anyone else heard of this “Gas Cert” becoming a regular thing?
 #147342  by Derb
 Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:35 pm
Not really all that surprising with a couple of very high profile van/camper fire/explosions in recent years.
 #147345  by 96coaster
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:54 am
I suspect the majority of these changes are "industry driven", ie the "tradesmen" (or their organisations) thinking they are gods gift to the world, that no one else is capable of doing the work and subsequently start lobbying government to have laws changed. In short they want the feather their own nest.

Also, when we bought our new my (from south of the hill, for which the gas cert and mods were carried out by a man an lady), the sticker on the door which says “Gas WOF”, with an expiry date four years after issue. However, when I questioned dealer, he confirmed there is no expiry date as such.

Some maybe these characters are getting in early, or maybe just generating extra business.
 #147348  by Minnie
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:02 am
News to me and I keep my ear fairly close to the ground.

And how would it work anyway? The WoEF system works by the law saying it is a breach of the regulations to connect electricity to a "connectable installation" that doesn't have a warrant. So the caravan parks effectively enforce the requirement.

How would a "WoGF" be enforced when the consumer is the person connecting the gas?
 #147352  by NeilV
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:41 am
96coaster wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:54 am

Also, when we bought our new my (from south of the hill, for which the gas cert and mods were carried out by a man an lady), the sticker on the door which says “Gas WOF”, with an expiry date four years after issue. However, when I questioned dealer, he confirmed there is no expiry date as such.
Yep, I got a “Gas WoF” sticker with a 4 year expiry date too :roll:
 #147353  by mattn
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:53 am
This rumor keeps popping up every few months/years, yet the "imminent" change has never happened. There is, unfortunately, a lot of scaremongering done by the trade, I too often wonders if its more about building business than keeping people safe.

I will not be surprised if it happens, but I will believe the rumor it when I read about it on a website with an address ending in .govt.nz.
 #147355  by Minnie
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:20 am
BUSRSQ wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:32 am
simple really, same as a gas cert in an lpg powered vehicle, not current then no WOF/COF
Probably not a simple as you think. The gas people (WorkSafe) would need to convince the transport people (NZTA) to change their transport rules. NZTA's governing Act probably doesn't have the powers to make regulations about gas installations so the Act would need to be changed.

Getting Acts changed is like pulling teeth, the Plumbers Act has been "under review" now for 5 years with no outcome in sight.
Pay with Paymate Express