#147506  by idex
 Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:59 am
I agree with you Ray.

The arguments I had long ago about "Methodology versus The Law" still apply, and until ALL tradies can do a better job than a competent DIYer then I'd rather focus on adherence to sound standards than rely on dodgy certificates.

Enjoy your Xmas !
 #147647  by DandS
 Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:44 am
idex wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:59 am
... until ALL tradies can do a better job than a competent DIYer then I'd rather focus on adherence to sound standards than rely on dodgy certificates.
The issue though is all of the incompetent DIYers, and those who will "give it a go" without even realising that some degree of skill is required.
 #147649  by NeilV
 Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:31 pm
It’s also the tools... what DIY’re has the $100+ pressure tester for his ‘once off’ job that the gas guy left on for 15 mins to be sure there were no leaks?
 #147651  by john&gael
 Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:56 pm
Bring it on if it saves lives
 #147655  by Andycap
 Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:11 pm
Hi ,as with so many things now it comes down eventually to 2 things . Liability and Insurance .I agree that some diy`ers are very good and probably may well do a better job than the proffesional ,BUT ,if and when there`s a stuff up if you personally are not the `proffesional` with full insurance and accountability you will be in the shit ! . Now ,in NZ (joe public) have ACC to fall back on ,no accountability or blame ,and no personal suing allowed ,,but come the time ,and it will come, that full blame and costs for any accident ,incident or downright stupidity ,will fall squarly on the shoulders of those responsible .It will then be a very differant story .We all know that insurance will try and use ANY excuse to avoid paying out (ask us around CH.ch) ,so why give them a perfect easy reason ,just to save a few bob . Harping on about why you can`t do this and that ,just because you could 30 odd years ago will not matter one jot .
My 2 penneth .
Pay with Paymate Express