#147371  by RaymonD
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:59 pm
This may well lead to us having to have a PROFESSIONAL CERTIFIED DRIVER, you may laugh, but as all these Gas/Electrical changes have been made in the name of SAFETY, what about all the driving accidents that Motorhomes/caravans are involved in..
 #147372  by Minnie
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:14 pm
RaymonD wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:59 pm
This may well lead to us having to have a PROFESSIONAL CERTIFIED DRIVER, you may laugh, but as all these Gas/Electrical changes have been made in the name of SAFETY, what about all the driving accidents that Motorhomes/caravans are involved in..
What are all of these "changes" of which you speak?

In 2010 there was a change that meant gasfitting in caravans could only be carried out by a licensed person — that's eight years ago.

In 2013 (five years ago) there was a change that meant that that licensed person had to produce certification for the gasfitting work.

All the other rules have essentially been the same since 1993.
 #147399  by RaymonD
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:44 pm
Minnie wrote:

In 2010 there was a change that meant gasfitting in caravans could only be carried out by a licensed person — that's eight years ago
A Change made in the name of safety by VESTED interests

In 2013 (five years ago) there was a change that meant that that licensed person had to produce certification for the gasfitting work.

Another change made in the name of safety by VESTED interests

tonne of licenses, authorities, endorsements, certifications and permissions is often worth less than a gramme of commonsense and care.
Quite right, from my daily read at http://www.aardvark.co.nz/
 #147459  by mattn
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:37 am
Gas fitting, Electrical, Drones, Freedom camping. Plenty of posts on this forum, and many more on Facebook are proof a certain demographic in our community feel they are well and truly above the law and entitled to do as they think fit in name of "Common Sense".

Those in the industries where the rules are being made and then flouted may not have all the answers, but they have far more than common sense. They have subject specific skills and training, and the wise ones understand that common sense is not as common as people believe. Thinking of the guy who blew himself up after disconnecting his gas fridge, not isolating the pipework or sealing it, then turning the gas on, no excess of common sense was floating around that day.
 #147465  by NeilV
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:38 am
And back on track, the Insurance Certified Inspector (Pokeno Motorhomes) yesterday actually CONGRATULATED me for having a “Gas Certification” in the window (while telling me my bus is worth almost nothing :roll: ) as he said insurance companies are now using the lack of such a cert to “deny claims”.

A random reference to a 2010 rule change and a H&Safety inspection of his property were his only references though?
 #147471  by Minnie
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:35 am
RaymonD wrote:
Minnie wrote:

In 2010 there was a change that meant gasfitting in caravans could only be carried out by a licensed person — that's eight years ago
A Change made in the name of safety by VESTED interests

Another change made in the name of safety by VESTED interests

tonne of licenses, authorities, endorsements, certifications and permissions is often worth less than a gramme of commonsense and care.

I believe that your assertion that the changes to the licensing rules were brought about by "vested interests" is more unsubstantiated opinion rather than being based on any study of the public consultation process that brought these changes. If it was a gasfitting lobby that caused these changes, why is it that the public has so much difficulty in getting a gasfitter within half a mile of their caravan?

I wonder whether you feel the same way about the "vested interests" that have brought about inertia reel seatbelts; air bags; antilock braking; etc.

Would we be just as safe driving around in 1950's pattern motorcars so long as we applied "common sense"?
 #147472  by Minnie
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:44 am
RaymonD wrote:

PS — Your reference to Bruce Simpson's Aardvark blog made me laugh. There he says "It's been quite a tiring year for me, battling (and eventually prevailing over) bureaucracy (the local council on the drones in parks issue"

Funny because of the news from the UK;
"Tens of thousands of passengers stranded by Gatwick airport drones
About 800 flights affecting 110,000 people cancelled as military called in to help hunt for perpetrator"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ort-drones
 #147483  by RaymonD
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:35 pm
I realize this is not the headed topic.
The replies above is what I expected, for many years I had access to the to Official serious accident results and I hate to say but most were from within the TRADES..

If you cannot win an argument/discussion, then attack with what ever you can.

There may well be a lot of dipsticks in our society nowadays, I am from a do-it-yourself Kiwi background and I object to being told what I can and cannot do by some that have had no hands on experience.
Before I forget, my family has a number of Tradesmen, from a time when they had to work at getting their certificates etc.
Due to the nonsensical replies that I am liable to get I am not making any further comment.

You all have a MERRY XMAS
Pay with Paymate Express