#149784  by Minnie
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:17 am
RaymonD wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:56 pm
"Sits the board of the NZ Standards Board to revise NZ Standards for LPG for the Motorhome and Caravan industry"
was cut and pasted from 'canfixltd site'

Ahh...I see now. While Mr canfix may have been on a standards committee (for the manufacturer's association?) I doubt he has ever been on the Board.
RaymonD wrote:

I wonder who represented NCMCA, some one with a vested interest.

I can have a pretty good guess on would have represented NZMCA on the gas installation standard and I'm fairly certain he would not be very well pleased about being accused of having a vested interest.
 #149941  by RaymonD
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:20 pm
RaymonD wrote:

Let me put it this way, the ban on private work has been related to being a safety measure, yet all equipment installed prior to the change is allowed.
My recollection of the OSH act having attended meetings to have it explained mentioned that if you saw an unsafe situation then by law (the OSH act) you were obliged to report it, so, I could report all Motor-homes, caravans etc registered prior to the change in rules 2006 ? as mostly being unsafe IE, out of date gas hose, no flame fail protection on appliances to start with.
I am a very work safe conscious person due the nature of the work I was involved in and it really annoys me that rules are changed using safety as an excuse, yet choosing to ignore established unsafe situations.

I have lodged a complaint to WorkSafe NZ., awaiting reponse
 #149942  by RaymonD
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:44 pm
I have noted a number of items in this discussion that I over looked.

Comments about gas solenoids from some who should know indicates that perhaps they do not know, are you aware that the newer gas/electric fridges are fitted with a solenoid controlled gas valve, it's used to control the gas for when the fridge is being controlled by it's thermostat.

The expressed danger of having a solenoid with it's DC control wiring attached to or near the gas bottle, have you looked into the rear of a newer gas/electric fridge and noted all the 12VDC and 230VAC wiring plus the gas line and fittings, good grief they should be banned... true ??

Today I heard of a person who wanted an old gas/electric fridge replaced, he was quoted a very large sum for the work to install and certify, no way he said went elsewhere and got a quote for a third of the original quote and told that as he was replacing existing fridge he could do it and then have the Gas Fitter connect and certify it.
I also would like to know from those who are Gas Fitters, are you also qualified Cabinet makers, carpenters and Electricians as all these activities are required when fitting Gas Fridges and stoves.
 #149945  by Nut17
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:29 pm
This thread is now unlikely to produce any further useful information.
Pay with Paymate Express