#149495  by myles
 Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:40 pm
Just to add to the previous:

There is a soft on/off, that is immediate - the two minute test and beep is only when powering on the controller (or press the test button). The current draw may drop off after a period - I'll have to check - not near it at the moment.
 #149612  by canfixltd
 Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:51 am
I have come across a number of these over the years,
the question around these solenoids are interesting, first why do you need one? to make you feel safe??
answer to this is have your gas system checked out, talk to the licensed gas fitter about it, if you can not get the answer you need
you probably picked the wrong gas fitter, find some one that specializes in the caravan and motorhome industry.
if a solenoid is fitted, from experience, most have been fitted in a way this does not meet regulations!!!
an other point you can check and think about your self, a solenoid when turned on get hot, you have it to make your self feel safe
yet this solenoid that is to make you feel safe gets very hot and it is directly connected to your gas line ?
would it not be nest just to have your gas system check often?
I worked in the caravan and motorhome industry for many many years and have been asked to return with the licenses for gas
because of questions like this.
 #149615  by Neddy
 Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:06 pm
On boats, where maximum safety is required, it is usual practice to fit solenoid LPG control valves. A clearly labeled switch is sited by the cooker and the gas is turned off right at the bottle after each and every use. With "pulse and hold" functionality, solenoid heat is not an issue.

Standards can be lower on RVs. LPG powered fridges are common and usually left connected all the time. Here, the main advantage of fitting a solenoid LPG valve is that it can be connected directly to an LPG detector with the gas supply being instantly cut off in the event of any gas leak. Regardless of when your setup was last officially inspected - and whether you are on board or not.

Neville.
 #149616  by Skiwi
 Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:08 pm
canfixltd wrote:
<snip> first why do you need one? <snip>
Its a want, not a need.

The most simplistic answer is that I want a convenient way of switching the gas on and off at the bottle from within the bus, if you read the original post you will see its slightly more involved than that.

Cheers
Skiwi
 #149649  by RaymonD
 Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:05 pm
canfixltd wrote:

if a solenoid is fitted, from experience, most have been fitted in a way this does not meet regulations!!!
Please explain, what regulations ?

an other point you can check and think about your self, a solenoid when turned on get hot, you have it to make your self feel safe
yet this solenoid that is to make you feel safe gets very hot and it is directly connected to your gas line ?
Very hot, I think not, they generally draw less than 1 amp (1 amp at 12 volts = 12Watts, very hot ? no way) you are using scare tactics

I worked in the caravan and motorhome industry for many many years
"Sits the board of the NZ Standards Board to revise NZ Standards for LPG for the Motorhome and Caravan industry"
So you outlawed us 'Doit yourself Kiwis from doing gas fitting

#149676  by myles
 Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:43 pm
Quick reading of the BEP sensor/solenoid current draw from an analogue ammeter (so a little rough):

Turning sensor/solenoid on: Max draw around 1.5 amps (very short pulse)
Solenoid - valve open: 0.3 - 0.4 amps
Sensor: 0.2 - 0.3 amps
Combined valve open with sensor: 0.5 - 0.7 amps

Point to note is that when left on, but with the valve shut, there is still a small draw from the sensor that is always on. I have two sensors.

Looking at the specs, the above is as it should be.

Would I install one if starting from scratch - probably, for piece of mind more than convenience of turning off the valve.
 #149694  by Minnie
 Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:20 pm
RaymonD wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:05 pm
canfixltd wrote:
I worked in the caravan and motorhome industry for many many years
"Sits the board of the NZ Standards Board to revise NZ Standards for LPG for the Motorhome and Caravan industry"
So you outlawed us 'Doit yourself Kiwis from doing gas fitting

The quoting appears to have been scrambled here and I’m not sure what you mean by "Sits the board of the NZ Standards Board to revise NZ Standards" but I note the following.

The penultimate caravan standard (NZS 5428: 2006) had representation from both the Motor Caravan Association and the Camping & Caravan Association in its drafting so it can hardly be said that there was lack of consumer input.

Any member of the public can register an interest in a standard with the standards body and be given the opportunity to comment at the Public Comment stage. Committees are obliged to consider all comments.

NZS 5428 formed the basis of the current joint Australian/NZ standard AS/NZ 5601.2. NZS 5428 was the first NZ caravan standard to specifically prohibit “califonts” although they were effectively already prohibited through the gas regulations. The Australians (like many of their overseas counterparts) flatly prohibited califonts with no “sleeping quarters” exemption.

In any case, the standards and the Standards Board had nothing to do with the “outlawing” of DIYers doing gasfitting. That was the government through the Plumbers Gasfitters and Drainlayers Act.
 #149726  by RaymonD
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:56 pm
was cut and pasted from 'canfixltd site'

"The penultimate caravan standard (NZS 5428: 2006) had representation from both the Motor Caravan Association and the Camping & Caravan Association in its drafting so it can hardly be said that there was lack of consumer input.

Any member of the public can register an interest in a standard with the standards body and be given the opportunity to comment at the Public Comment stage. Committees are obliged to consider all comments."

And of course like a lot of these changes it was widely published, I think not, as member of NZMCA I do not recall being asked for input, and I wonder who represented NCMCA, some one with a vested interest.

I have no problem with obvious safety changes like the use of califonts, but to outlaw gasfitting as it was allowed prior to the change, yes, I am totally apposed to the change.

Let me put it this way, the ban on private work has been related to being a safety measure, yet all equipment installed prior to the change is allowed.
My recollection of the OSH act having attended meetings to have it explained mentioned that if you saw an unsafe situation then by law (the OSH act) you were obliged to report it, so, I could report all Motor-homes, caravans etc registered prior to the change in rules 2006 ? as mostly being unsafe IE, out of date gas hose, no flame fail protection on appliances to start with.
I am a very work safe conscious person due the nature of the work I was involved in and it really annoys me that rules are changed using safety as an excuse, yet choosing to ignore established unsafe situations.
Pay with Paymate Express