#54578  by vansvilla
 Mon May 13, 2013 4:55 pm
E
RaymonD, start with Rinnai, thats what we use on the vehicles that require H/w in movie land.
Electric califonts are also available but you need a 32 amp plug to run them, they are not all that efficient either,
I know where you can get one cheap though :( :-|
 #54582  by Roamnz
 Mon May 13, 2013 5:03 pm
Raymond, these are available here in Oz, maybe check and see if a NZ supplier sells a similar product,
endless hot water on demand supply for RVs, no water storage tank needed.

http://www.awardrv.com.au/
 #54638  by RaymonD
 Tue May 14, 2013 7:18 pm
Thanks all, do not need one just yet but they seem to be a better way of gas use for water heating...
 #54758  by Brendon
 Thu May 16, 2013 10:59 pm
That's cool! Looks to me like a gas califont packaged into a standard storage water heater format,

Code is GSWH-1M from Girard, more info here:
http://greenrvproducts.com/girard-tankl ... er-heater/

This would be perfect for us Califont fans with caravans who don't want to bolt it to the outside and can't put them inside due to the death gas issue.

4x the cost of a cheapie but probably 10x less hassle when you are short on space.

Good spotting Smillie
 #59878  by Narroc
 Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:36 pm
As a certifying Gas fitter I can say that Unflued Califonts in Caravans or motor homes are not safe and even the flued one I would beware of. Personally the Attwood or Suburban storage types are the cat’s pj's. And as for freezing I have had to replace several Califonts which have burst due to the frost. I do a lot of UK Vans and the Truma or the Carver/Henry storage ones seems to be quite popular and these can easily be drained (and refilled).
Just remember all new vans after 1st July need to be certified and if imported will need the appliances endorsed as well. All new vans need to comply with AS/NZ.SS 5601 2010 part 2 All appliances MUST have flame failure. Note. Some hobs on the older imported vans may not have. So watch this if you are importing an older van.
 #59881  by Zukiwi
 Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:33 pm
Yes, I discovered the issue with freezing califonts in our previous moho. It was in the kitchen/living area of the vehicle but still burst a pipe fitting just under the califont on a cold Taupo night. Much prefer our current buses' Truma gas/mains water heater inside but against an exterior wall for efficiency and reliability.

Cheers
John
 #59961  by Minnie
 Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:47 pm
Narroc wrote: Just remember all new vans after 1st July need to be certified and if imported will need the appliances endorsed as well. All new vans need to comply with AS/NZ.SS 5601 2010 part 2 All appliances MUST have flame failure. Note. Some hobs on the older imported vans may not have. So watch this if you are importing an older van.
Not how I read it. Imported vans need to comply only with section 2 of 5601.2. There is no mention of flame failure in section 2 although it does prohibit 'califonts'.

Any appliances installed in NZ in caravans should have flame failure to fully meet the standard.
 #59962  by Justintime
 Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:35 pm
We are looking at buying a small weekender van, with an external kitchen (K Pod Weekender built in Tauranga). Because of the external kitchen, I assume there is no need for flame failure devices on the gas burners. Am I correct?

Cheers, Dene
Pay with Paymate Express