Mobile internet, DVD, TV, SatNav, UHF/VHF etc
 #99574  by Expander
 Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:02 pm
I run both in my vehicle, Cb is more like AM radio, it will go for miles but it is often not quite as clear, and the UHF is like FM, goes well then just stops. If you are getting UHF, the beauty about them is that cheap as chips hand held ones work on the same channels, but beware most cheap ones are 0.5 watt and very poor at any distance, you really need to be close. vehicle ones are generally 5 Watt which is good, there are 5 watt handhelds but they never work as good as the mounted ones as they just have a short aerial.

I still use CB more than UHF, can talk/listen to truckies, often a fair bit of colourful language going on though!
 #103391  by Andrew and Debbie
 Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:15 pm
Angela, Did you end up getting a new cb radio?

Cheers
Andrew
 #103411  by BUSRSQ
 Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:32 am
Ok thining on it, I no longer have a use for my Dual unit ( the usage i used it for have gone to stand alone units with own frequency ) so it will be up for sale.
As mentioned it was not cheap when I brought it so it will be $300 to buy, it will come with 2 aerials ( UHF and AM CB both tuned to my usage) wiring for both the unit and the aerials, and if I can find the book a book :)
 #103482  by Expander
 Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:19 pm
Hi BUSRSQ,

Can you use both frequencies at once, ie, can you listen to both and reply to whatever one talked?
 #103483  by razor
 Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:20 pm
trouble is there is hardly anyone on cb ,not like the good old days ,cellphones put a stop to it .
BRING BACK CB USE ,lets start a revival :TU
 #103485  by NeilV
 Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:30 pm
Funnily enough I bumped into a young guy (sub 30) in a bus called 'spud' just this morning in puki (parked up near where I overnighted ready for today's service) who had just installed a CB and was asking for tips to get it working...

Personally I think what they need now is short range pico cellular connections (opt in of course!)
 #103511  by Andrew and Debbie
 Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:41 pm
Like Razor said, just use it more. I don't know how many times I have heard people say 'oh I never hear anybody on the cb, so I leave it turned off' :lol:

And it is useful to talk to the driver in the truck behind you that you are holding up, and say, yes I know you are behind me, I'll pull over when I can. They'll often tell you when the next suitable place to pull over is.

Cheers,
Andrew
 #103522  by BUSRSQ
 Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:24 am
Expander wrote:Hi BUSRSQ,

Can you use both frequencies at once, ie, can you listen to both and reply to whatever one talked?
Yes you can, you can scan either freq or both, it can be set on one freq and one channel,one freq and scan 2 channels, 2 freq, one channel on each , or scan both freq
Pay with Paymate Express