#101707  by Patrick Bourke
 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:48 pm
The rear portion of the roof on my Kia transit motor home has a course finish to the roof which is forever covered in black mould, tried cleaning it with sugar soap but it is embedded.I was going to spray it with 30 seconds but thought it may be to harsh and suggestions please.
 #101711  by idex
 Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:52 pm
I give our fibreglass roof a spray with "Wet'n'Forget" about twice a year. That keeps the green and black stuff at bay. A decent clean and repaint to fill in the porous fibreglass would probably be a good idea but that's still somewhere on the 'to do' list.
 #101931  by Naki585
 Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:10 am
Hello Mr. Bourke.
I spray my roof with 30 seconds and then water blast it. Be a little careful with the 30 seconds as it can cause streaking. But this easily washes out. What I found is that 30 kills the mold spores and once clean doesn't take much to keep clean. Good luck.

Hope you enjoyed your road trip up north.
 #141361  by foundusually
 Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:10 pm
I use a Countdown bulk disinfectant at $2/2 litres. It has the same active ingredient as the proprietary cleaners at about $40 for the same amount!. Just spray on the roof and leave for a few days before washing off. Very bad lichen infestations may require repeats of the process and some scrubbing. I have cleaned up a very bad case at a cost of less than $1!

I think members could help each other in this area, as many of the commercial overpriced products have supermarket or TradeMe products with the same active ingredients. This is a good chance for those with some chemical knowledge to help other members.
 #141364  by scubadoo
 Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:53 pm
As previously mentioned 4 years ago. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8815&start=16#p74580

About this time last year I brushed our motorhome roof with a mild detergent then sprayed a weak mixture of our Yates Surrender Mosskiller concentrate containing the same active ingredient as all those other products on the market (benzalkonium chloride) that do not contain a 30 second bleach (usually Sodium Hypochlorite).
We still have 990ml remaining in our 1000ml container. :TU

In the past the first area to blacken with mould was the well shaded gap between the solar panels. I inspected the roof recently and can report that more than a year after spraying there is still no visible mould in those gaps.
Pay with Paymate Express