Here you may engage in casual Chit-Chat on any subject that does not relate directly to motorhoming.
Forum rules: The usual standards of respect, decency and consideration for others are expected even though this forum will be less rigorously moderated.
 #8633  by SteveC
 Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:55 pm
As some of you may know its blowing!!! Well here in the Waitaki valley it is anyway. How bad is it blowing you might ask? Well try this for size.

My Mitsubishi Outlander was parked along side 3 other vehicles at Benmore this afternoon. At about 2:30 I went and opened both front windows about ½ way to let some air in, it was then about 23d and at that stage there was a wind but nothing concerning, and it was at right angles to the car.

At 4pm my back window was spread across the car park. @#$% you must be kidding!!!!

At the same time a few were looking at mine thinking the wind could not have done this, one of my team opened the door on a Nissan erro van – BOOM – and there is another back window all over the car park.

Either the wind was blowing or modern vehicles just cant stand the pace…..

We have request copies of the security tapes – there could be a funniest home video in it.

On a more serious note ( ok 2 windows are serious but they company vehicles and no one was hurt) If your in the Waitaki area and the wind is causing problems let me know if you need help… Its not meant to get any worse than it is already.

Steve
 #8635  by WoodyZ
 Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:02 pm
It can blow there alright.

I can recall seeing all the power pylons down through there bent over looking very much like giraffes drinking. That would have been some time in the 60's I think.
 #8636  by Mark
 Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:06 pm
And just had a txt from my daughter. They are having a romantic dinner by candlelight on Otago Peninsular because the power lines are down.
 #8639  by Roamnz
 Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:58 pm
tonights gusty wind did have one bonus here at Amberley in Canterbury. Just prior to 6.00pm tonight I did a couple of loads of washing including bed sheets in my trusty little lemair washing machine, hung it out on a makeshift line rigged between 2 trees, checked a few minutes ago and most of it is dry, rest should be dry in another 20 minutes. So for once I'm not complaining about windy Canterbury !
 #8640  by RaymonD
 Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:19 pm
woodyz wrote:It can blow there alright.

I can recall seeing all the power pylons down through there bent over looking very much like giraffes drinking. That would have been some time in the 60's I think.
And I can remember cutting some of them up in 61 :)

Ray
 #8649  by technochicken
 Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:42 pm
According to a mate of mine, the quickest way to stop the wind from blowing is to build a windmill and put it up. ;)
 #8655  by johnaye
 Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:56 am
yeh we flew radio control planes but the wind always blew ...So we bought big stunt kites.. That fixed the problem !!!!
Pay with Paymate Express