Here you may engage in casual Chit-Chat on any subject that does not relate directly to motorhoming.
Forum rules: The usual standards of respect, decency and consideration for others are expected even though this forum will be less rigorously moderated.
 #128115  by Nut17
 Thu May 25, 2017 10:56 pm
I belong to a large social group of motoring enthusiasts in Hawkes Bay appropriately named "Petrol Heads" (Around 230 members) Most of our social interaction revolves around a once or twice a week coffee drinking session when if the weather is good there is also a pretty amazing turnout of some interesting automobiles. It is definitely a "male only" membership with wives and partners only being invited to a couple of lunch outings a year.

As the average age of the membership is (I am only guessing) early 70s, men's health including hearing loss, failing eyesight, hip and knee replacements, arthritis and Prostate issues are all regular topics of conversation. We have plenty of time for in depth conversation as these coffee sessions usually last for a couple of hours. We do also do a lot of reminiscing about our past cars and fantasise about what we would all still like to have in the shed.

Through my association with the NZ Pink Caravan Breast Cancer Awareness program the statistics have been publicised showing that there are as many men die from prostate cancer in NZ as women who die from Breast cancer.

In my case a slightly elevated PSA blood test alerted my doctor who then administered a physical examination which has subsequently led to having a biopsy taken. In my case they took 14 needle samples and it was NOT a pleasant experience :shock: :shock: Now the waiting game for the results in around another week. The reason for this post is to encourage all men over the age of 50 to have regular prostate health checks. Early diagnosis will save your life.

Cheers
Chris
 #128117  by Mark
 Thu May 25, 2017 11:19 pm
Hope the biopsy comes back clear, Chris.

I'm about a month behind you: elevated PSA > digital exam > wait 1 month > second PSA test next week > ???
 #128123  by Hendo44
 Fri May 26, 2017 8:45 am
Thanks Chris, timely reminder, will be in Auckland next week to pick up caravan, will get a check up.
 #128124  by Romany Rambler
 Fri May 26, 2017 9:20 am
Hope the biopsy comes back clear for you Chris. Been there had that test, apart from the results which are important, the biopsy is uncomfortable and it is possible to have complications. I had no problems and the biopsy was all clear,

Hope you have the same result.

All of us males should have regular PSA blood tests at the very least. A digit test is not that bad either.

Go on have the Test!

Robin
 #128159  by Mark S.
 Sat May 27, 2017 1:40 pm
I keep a regular PSA as Dad had Prostrate Cancer, but survived back in 75. Had friend who was too macho to get checked - died 56 as by the time it was found - too late.
Its NOT A BIG DEAL if you want to live a normal life span.
 #128173  by vansvilla
 Sat May 27, 2017 5:33 pm
On a lighter note.
When I was serving in the RNZAF there was Dept devoted to eradicating corrosion from Aircraft, known to us all the Crud Bay. The staff there removed corrosion by mechanical means scraping, grinding etc.
At the same time, the P3 Orion aircraft had very powerful radar sets fitted, the rays emitting from those were said to be strong enough to sterilize people so extraordinary precautions were taken in the event these had to be ground tested, cones tape and so on.

Now not so long ago, an Acquaintance of mine was told he had the dreaded Prostate cancer and in seeking advice from others on an ex airforce page asked the question
" Do I go to the Crud Bay (surgery) or stand in front of a P3 (radiation).

Pretty much summed it up I thought.
 #128175  by Zukiwi
 Sat May 27, 2017 5:54 pm
Best wishes to both of you Chris and Mark. Two of my brothers have had prostate cancer, both while in their 50s, so I've had regular PSA tests and the occasional physical annually for the last 10 years. Good insurance and I hope so it will turn out to be for you two.

Cheers
John
 #128300  by Nut17
 Wed May 31, 2017 1:43 pm
Back to Doctor for results of biopsy. Bit of a shock as I have been put on the urgent list for surgery. My situation is a good example where both PSA testing and physical examination both only indicated a a very low risk assessment. The reality is that radiation is not really an option - but I should still count myself lucky! As surgery should be able to take care of the problem.

Cheers
Chris
Pay with Paymate Express