Here you may engage in casual Chit-Chat on any subject that does not relate directly to motorhoming.
Forum rules: The usual standards of respect, decency and consideration for others are expected even though this forum will be less rigorously moderated.
 #148875  by Skiwi
 Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:07 am
So here's a scenario I'm wrestling with, I know the pragmatic thing I'd like to do, but am aware of the "look" it may create...

Our fresh water tanks are full and our grey water tanks are empty. We have a 400km journey over some steep passes planned for the next day.

I'd like to dump the majority of our fresh water before we begin our journey to lessen the weight.
Because it has to pass through the (empty/clean) grey water tank to dump it, does that make it grey water and therefore it needs to go into a dump station ? If so that seems to me to be a waste of water that could be better used on some vegetation somewhere. :|

Cheers
Skiwi
 #148877  by mattn
 Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:28 am
In my mind, going though the grey tank makes it grey water. Its not potable water - I certainly would not drink it , so if its not potable, and its not grey, what is it? I doubt the law would be on your side if caught. Dumping fresh water directly from the fresh tank still has the problem of perception - how does the observer know its potable water? In my mind best not to dump water at all unless its into a dump station.

If you do want to be able to dump fresh water, install a drain in your tank and dump fresh water. When I had my tanks put in, the installer put a pipe leading to the edge of the caravan, so I can drain the fresh tank without climbing underneath.
 #148884  by NeilV
 Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:39 pm
What Mattn said seems logical.

I recently had to dump about 100L to empty my fresh tank to do some repairs, but since I’d installed the system, I just popped off one of the pressure connectors and let it out onto the grass.

400L seems like lots, so worth either a visit to a dump or a quick recce underneath to let it out.

However, if you’re ‘home’ there is no law about dumping ‘grey’ on your own lawn/plants, especially as you know it’s practically clean anyway...and your proposal has a great sideline benifit of flushing your tanks well too :TU
 #148922  by malcybabe
 Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:20 pm
God the more I read reply`s in this website the more I am so glad i`m in my seventies So fresh water in tanks and you want to empty them and there`s rules around this So I have a bucket of water I filled from my outside tap left it over night would love to use it rather than pour down the sink
 #148925  by mattn
 Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:54 pm
Its not about dumping fresh water.....

Only a fool would presume the puddle left by the camper before you was fresh water. Maybe you don't mind wallowing on other peoples filth as you move around you campsite, but most of us prefer not to. If you knew it was fresh water, probably no problem. Problem is the only person who really knows for sure what it is the guy who dumped it - call me a cynic, but I would need to see them drink a glass of it before I believe them.

Not too long ago an NZMCA member was seen driving down the road leaving a trail of water. They grey valve was open and the cap had a hole drilled in it, so the water trickled out over many kilometers of road. When we have people like that in our community, we need rules and they need to be enforced.
 #148926  by Skiwi
 Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:06 pm
In the probably forlorn hope of putting an end to the debate I have decided to dump it on my lawn before we leave.

Here is Central Otago where water is precious, when used appropriately I view gray water as a resource, not a contaminant.

Cheers
Skiwi
 #148927  by petercw
 Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:49 pm
When I get home from a trip and have not stopped on the way to dump I drop the grey water where I park next to the best fruit trees in town... Wonder why that's so..
 #148928  by Derb
 Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:12 am
We view our fresh-water tank/van as our "plan-B" should the proverbial "hit the fan". Hence I tend to empty it as soon as we get home and promptly refil it with a fresh lot of good home water. To that end I have fitted a dump-tap to the fresh tank. I hear you though about the "perception" issue when away. Best to talk to your neighbouring van owners and explain your plan regarding unloading "weight" and the fact that it is fresh water and excess to requirement. If it has to pass through the grey-tank I would suggest that argument no longer holds-water :lol:
Pay with Paymate Express