Here you may engage in casual Chit-Chat on any subject that does not relate directly to motorhoming.
Forum rules: The usual standards of respect, decency and consideration for others are expected even though this forum will be less rigorously moderated.
 #152839  by Nut17
 Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:24 pm
The best option at the moment for us would be an i3 with the range extender. The 600 cc petrol extender charger would only get occasional use and the total range using both forms of energy of 330 km still equates to a very frugal 0.6 lt / 100 km.
 #152844  by Mark
 Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:57 pm
A 2016 or later i3 would give her a range of around 180 km (a 2019 model is around 240km).
I thought about the Rex - but if you go that way, you still have to service it even if you don't use it much. I decided to go "cold turkey" :-)
From Rotorua I've driven to Auckland a couple of times (one 15 min fast-charge on the way there and back) , Katikati twice - no need to charge - Tokaanu later this week and won't need to charge. There are fast chargers available on most routes at less than 100km intervals.
The fast chargers vary from free (a few) to 40c per kWh to 25c per kWh plus 25c per minute connected.
 #152897  by MartyB
 Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:16 am
Mark wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:00 am
Government announces proposal to introduce incentives to limit high emitting vehicles (CO2) and encourage low emitting vehicles
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/39 ... cy-subsidy
Thank god I already own an eco-friendly 6.4ltr Hemi V8 powered fun car!
All this talk of battery powered "cars" is giving me palpitations!

So what is going to happen to all of the green batteries at their end of life, will we still be saying they are environmentally friendly then?
Cheers
Marty
 #152899  by beanpole
 Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:51 am
A few years ago I saw somewhere that the build and disposal costs of an electric vehicle outweigh the environmental cost of a "normal" petrol or diesel.
Things may have changed since given progress in this field.
Gordon
 #152901  by PeterDrake
 Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 am
I too have a Leaf. It is perfect for my 60km round trip commute from Rangiora to Christchurch. In summer it will also get me from home to Waikuku Beach and back so I can go for a swim/play in the evening. That's charging it to 80% overnight.
Currently I even have it set to pre-heat in the morning, so the car and steering wheel are warm and the the windscreen de-iced. :)

It might be fugly, but it's great to drive and very cheap to run.

The i3 is great for really tall people - huge range of adjustment in the steering wheel and seat - just think of it as an odd two seater with loads of luggage space :)

The i8 is more supercar than commuter car and merely a hybrid, but driven properly sure as hell doesn't sound like an EV!!. It's also almost impossible to get out of - it has scissor doors which lower when you pull down on them for leverage. Even my teenage son found it difficult!

As for disposal, the batteries have a long life in the cars, and even after that can be re-purposed for static power storage, e.g. solar systems.

So it's EV during the week, but diesel Triton for weekend fun :)
 #152924  by NeilV
 Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:47 pm
beanpole wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:51 am
A few years ago I saw somewhere that the build and disposal costs of an electric vehicle outweigh the environmental cost of a "normal" petrol or diesel.
Things may have changed since given progress in this field.
Gordon
Yeah, but that the “apples vs oranges” comparison big oil is putting out...

Build and disposal costs MAY be more, but they are working that out all the way back to the mining of the constituent parts... if we factor in the mining of oil, refining process, subsequent shipping and then distribution (all via other diesel burning ships and trucks) the comparison would be more fair, and DEFINITELY favour the EV!
:TU
 #152947  by Mark
 Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:29 am
MartyB wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:16 am
Mark wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:00 am
Government announces proposal to introduce incentives to limit high emitting vehicles (CO2) and encourage low emitting vehicles
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/39 ... cy-subsidy
Thank god I already own an eco-friendly 6.4ltr Hemi V8 powered fun car!
All this talk of battery powered "cars" is giving me palpitations!

So what is going to happen to all of the green batteries at their end of life, will we still be saying they are environmentally friendly then?
Cheers
Marty
https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/cli ... ge-deniers
:D
Pay with Paymate Express