Here you may engage in casual Chit-Chat on any subject that does not relate directly to motorhoming.
Forum rules: The usual standards of respect, decency and consideration for others are expected even though this forum will be less rigorously moderated.
 #152870  by petercw
 Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:30 pm
Wondering if this will happen, and, impact on the general area and overnight site.

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/fa4a ... aign=After the Bell Monday 8th July 2019&utm_content=After the Bell Monday 8th July 2019+CID_dd689171bbf35a8ea7a8cf38611dbb54&utm_source=Email marketing software&utm_term=Refining NZ plans countrys biggest solar farm
 #152881  by Andycap
 Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:32 pm
In general ,it`s got to be a good thing ,this country needs to take far more advantage of solar . Can never understand why the government doesn`t build a massive solar panel and associated gear factory and so every new house built includes it as standard which then comes at a vastly reduced rate ,because of economies of scale . Same with wind farms ,so much pottential power going to waste .
 #152891  by NeilV
 Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:14 pm
According to the article it would increase our solar capacity by 25%+ so I’d say it’s a fantastic idea.

Only drawback is the space is ‘currently covered in trees’ so there may be a green pushback too :roll:
 #152921  by Derb
 Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:17 pm
Generally speaking, Solar Farms are located on large flat areas of land. Land that would be better used for other purposes which cannot be located on hilly land. Solar Farms (like houses) should be restricted to bony hilly useless areas of land (south island comes to mind) which are totally unsuitable for anything else. We haven't the land areas in NZ to waste on "real-estate hungry" schemes like solar farms. We have to look forward 50 to 100 years and consider is it worth using flat land in this manner - better used for growing food?

Better to have covenents on all new house-builds (such as is the case with insulation/double glazing etc) that require all roofs to have a minimum of "X" watts of solar panels fitted. Could be a case for power-generation companies leasing existing domestic roof-space to install their panels?
 #152923  by Nut17
 Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:37 pm
You bring to light a few points that I had never even considered Brian. There is probably some salt contaminated low lying land adjacent to tidal estuaries that may fit the bill. I know that there is on going debate in Hawkes Bay regarding the urban sprawl on to some of the most productive horticultural land in NZ, particularly around Hastings. The problem is that the cost to develop housing on hillsides these days is exorbitant making the section prices way over the top.
It would be interesting to find out how productive this land actually is that they are planning to cover with the solar farm.
 #152927  by Derb
 Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:00 pm
Yup - Hawkes Bay has some spare "salt contaminated" flats around. I think the next project for those areas is likely to be "Shrimp-Farming" when the next Tsunami comes through :D
 #152932  by Andycap
 Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:41 pm
Hi ,Derb wrote ` we havn`t the land to waste on solar farms ` NZ is awash with un-used land .Country about the same size of the UK ,but with ONLY 4ish million people !! It`s only the real estate industry that puts such a high price on it . As for better use for growing food ,i`d agree if we could affordably feed ourselves with this food instead of most l going to exports for which we continue to pay such a high price for. This country could be allmost self sufficient in all the basics if we looked after ourselves first .
:(
 #152940  by petercw
 Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:29 pm
Solar electricity is too expensive.. I'm building our retirement house, modern contemporary style that's so heavy in the modern use of gas for heating water, LED lighting, natural sun, brick, concrete floor, 1 x heat pump that does the whole house,, etc. That electricity is so cheap that i'd be dead before I could pay off the solar energy bill to install it.. It's not a big house.. So solar for everybody is not correct.
Govt subsidy would be great but why should NZ tax payers pay when we have cheap renewable energy. :o
Pay with Paymate Express