Anything from hang-gliding to macrame (including fishing)
 #142493  by lakewatcher
 Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:39 am
Kia ora
For some time I've been thinking about posting a series of lessons on how to say the sounds of the Māori language as they are intended. No pressure, and can 'Mark as read. However most of us were never taught and it's a modern, changing world... no point in being left behind, plus costs nothing except for a bit of time as you practice while driving around. Painless really although I did find when I was learning it took a bit of courage (out of comfort zone and it sounded so strange and odd). But now it comes naturally.
Here goes....
Lesson 1:- the sound 'au' is a common mispronounciation. It's mostly rhymed with cow but should be rhymed with Oh (exclamation) or if spelling out a word sounded like the letter 'o'. It doesn't matter if the au is at the start, middle or end of a word..its always said the same
Tau= toe(on foot) or tow (a boat)
Kau= ko (as in golfer Lydia)
Mau= mow(the lawns)
Pau=Poe (poet Edgar Allan Poe)
Nau= no(opp of yes) or know something
Rau=row (with an oar)
Hau=ho (what Father Xmas says) or hoe(garden tool)
Wau= woe(misery)

Lesson 2
Rs are rolled...just a little rrrrr with tongue on top of mouth. Always. Not just at the front of a word and is rolled with any combination of vowels. So rau not actually said like row a boat it's rrrrow a boat.

Raukawa, Kuratau, Tauranga, Te Anau, Hautapu, Maumaupaki, Kauri (remember to roll the 'r'), Waiau, Waikawau, Matauri,

If anybody thinks I'm wrong please say; and add in whenever... other place names with au to practice maybe?? Together we always learn more.

I think don't worry about the rest of the sounds in a word for now ..we'll get there
Karyn
 #142496  by Andycap
 Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:26 am
Hi Karyn ,admire your enthusiasm . However a small point which you may not have realised ,and that is differance inpeoples ethnic background and the actual sound of names etc .A good example i can give is us ex UK New Zealanders pronounce the words` Teddy Bear .` Now, to our ears when the average Nz native says it ,it sounds like Tiddy Bear ( last word as in the booze). My kids had massive problems with the dialect and spelling when they first went to school here 23 +yrs ago .Of course all nationalities say words differantly and thats one of the problems i think you may have in getting more people to speak yet `another language ` Anyway good luck ,just my perspective ,Regards,Andy .
 #142497  by mattn
 Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:01 am
If you listen to Amazons Alexa try to pronounce Maori place names, as a white middle class white boy even I cringe..... If you think about the speed this tech is invading our lives, it makes you wonder just how long and important this journey is going to be.
 #142498  by petercw
 Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:09 pm
Karyn, keep up the good word, work, as I am prepared to try and learn but have no ability in languages and rely heavily on the Google to help me get by as I'm partially dyslexic ...but if I can get a little ahead of my linguistic wife then I'll be able to bluff my way with the Maori names on the sign posts and pretend to know what I'm saying.. :D

PS this thread is written with the help of a new keyboard app that allows me to speak the words when I get stuck as I don't wish to stop typing all together. :TU
 #142512  by david 60
 Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:36 pm
No thanks too many people NOW telling me How What Why Where and when now, Ive survived dam near 70 years with out it so doubt wether i'll want it for what is the rest of MY life so no thanks david
 #142519  by lakewatcher
 Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:50 am
Hi. I can understand the opinions of you David and 96Coaster. However speaking personally I can only think how privileged I've been to have had opportunities to live (sometimes) and definitely work in respectful, and supportive environments where Te Reo is expected, encouraged and valued. How lucky and enriched I've been.
There are lots of topics on here (broken fridges, Mechanical) that I'm not so interested in, but they remain an accessible resource. Thanks. I 'Mark Topic Read'...and you can do so too.
I posted this in the hope that by providing the knowledge an interest would awaken; and yes...to gently start a trend where it's safe and normal to try. Anyway surely it's fun to stretch the brain cells and learn something new. Especially when that 'new is directly related to the beautiful country in which we live and travel.
Rangimarie (peace) Karyn
 #142525  by petercw
 Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:44 am
Do I think Te Reo should be taught in schools as a forced subject.. Definately not.. Should Te Reo be used as part of our Maori culture.. Absolutely..
Hence here is an opportunity for those who wish to increase their knowledge of Te Reo Maori language.. I'm in.
Generally speaking we are all decedents of other countries and as with a multi national society we have many languages with English being of primary one however the Maori language is New Zealands local/native/historic(call it what you will) cultural language and here is that opportunity to understand it better... Even if I'm over 70 I still want to learn. :TU
Pay with Paymate Express