Fridge Question Help please

landlubbers
NZMCA No: 50058

Re: Fridge Question Help please

Postby landlubbers » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:28 am

Thanks for all your suggestions.. To answer some questions, the door seals are fine, the wiring is at least 6mm, the fridge is a Waeco 12/24 volt. It does not have an electric cooling fan, there are vents on the side of the van. And the cooling air supply is not blocked. I will spend time this weekend checking the cycles etc. I am trying to locate a fridgy to check the gas and see if it needs topping up. Thanks again for all your comments, will post again after the weekend with more info on the cycles etc.

Rocky
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 39474

Postby Rocky » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:39 pm

This post is helping me with my fridge problem. Indel B 12-24volt compressor fridge using a danfoss BD50F. The compressor is not shutting off at all. Voltage at input is good (over 12.9v) amperage has been dropping all day from 5.68 down to 4.45 fluctuating at the moment. I cant leave my charger off over night as batteries are flat in morning.
We are on power at Richmond at the moment.
The control knob in the fridge compartment goes from 0 to 7. I was informed that this range keeps the compressor running longer the higher the number. I have turned it to 7 overnight and in the morning turned it down slowly expecting compressor to shut down, no such luck. turned down fully to 0 before shutting off.
From what i am reading it appears fridge/freezer 190 ltr (3 years old) needs regassing.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.... :? :o :(

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 21917

Postby Neddy » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:00 pm

The compressor running non-stop all night should turn your fridge into a freezer.
But it doesn't - right?
Again, the most likely cause is low refrigerant level.
A top-up should put everything back to normal.

Neville.

Rocky
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Rocky » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:49 am

8.30am voltage was 14.5 and amperage draw only .15. Therefore amps have been dropping all night but fridge temp at 8.30 was only 8degrees with lots of water on bottom. I think you are right Neddy, low on refridgerant. As soon as we started using the fridge amp draw went up to 5.4.......

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 21917

Postby Neddy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:09 am

Rocky wrote:8.30am.... amperage draw only .15

This compressor would normally be drawing 5 - 6 amps but is drawing just 150 milliamps!
Why? Because it has no work to do - it's got next to nothing to pump. The most likely reason is a loss of refrigerant, but when the man comes to top this up, he will also check that the filter/drier and the capillary tube are functioning as they should and are not blocked.
Don't forget that a shortage of refrigerant also means a shortage of lubricating oil.
Leaving a compressor running like this causes accelerated wear and premature failure.

Neville.

Rocky
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Rocky » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:09 am

Must have some refrigerant as temp this morning was 4 degrees. On opening the freezer door i could hear gurgling
like water so presume thats refrigerant swirling through the pipes. I think the drop yesterday was because i had left ampmeter connected to fridge supply and wires on meter not heavy enough for current. I reconnected the correct wires. :o The fridge is still not turning off.... :(

landlubbers
NZMCA No: 50058

Postby landlubbers » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:23 am

Thanks to all those who put forward suggestions, and for those who have similar problems, here is the outcome of our problem. Thinking that our fridge needed to be re-gassed, in fact the fridge was over-gassed (according to our fridgy), which was making it ice up and this in turn was not allowing it to cycle. Also a faulty fan was contributing to the problem. Now that he has released gas out of the compressor and a new fan has been put in, it is now cycling correctly. Our new set up for those interested, we have two 250 watt solar panels, and we now have 3 x 110 ah deep cycle batteries, and a fridge working properly. Oh happy days and we can go off the grid :D

mattn
NZMCA No: 44845

Postby mattn » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:48 am

As I understand, it was working properly then stopped working - how did the extra gas get into it? Keep your receipt.
Don't be alarmed when you see me talking to myself, I am getting expert advice.

Return to “Heating - Refrigeration”