Hire a motorhome in Aussie to Ayers Rock?

Forum rules
Each member may post travel stories to their own thread. You may comment on others' threads but do not take them over with your own stories. Please try to ensure these stories are entertaining and snappy. You may include a FEW pics to illustrate your story. Please don't use this as a platform for your photo albums: they are best put in (say) Picasa with a link.
Den
NZMCA No: 28418

Hire a motorhome in Aussie to Ayers Rock?

Postby Den » Mon May 26, 2014 10:23 pm

Has anyone done one of the Tour-Led Motorhome trips from Adelaide to Uluru and Alice Springs and back? In a Rental motorhome from Britz, 14 days, and about 4000km, virtually a convoy but stopping at interesting places on the way.
Or is anyone thinking of it?

Advertised in the latest NZMCA bulletin - the Red Centre Tour - at NZ$8,000 per couple including fares...

Just wondering if this is good value?

Would be interested in any comments, or feedback from past tours.
"Life is what happens to you, while you're busy making other plans."

My blog is out of date, but I can't get back into it!
Currently run a Peugeot Auto-Sleeper 4WD

John&Helen
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 36874

Re: Hire a motorhome in Aussie to Ayers Rock?

Postby John&Helen » Tue May 27, 2014 7:51 am

We are away in August for four weeks, MHing from Adelaide to Darwin, costing a lot less than $16K I might add.

We will spend three days in Adelaide before picking up the rental Campervan, dropping it off 22 days later in Darwin. As for a group tour, I figure well be joining plenty of others tackling the same route and will meet up with them along our travels.
John & Helen
Hilux 3lt diesel towing "Lilys Pad" (X-treme 273, 5th Wheeler). CAP - 8683 at holidayhouses 48371.

Adventure is not in the guide book and beauty is not on the map, seek and ye shall find.

Den
NZMCA No: 28418

Postby Den » Thu May 29, 2014 9:15 pm

Thanks for your input- I thought there would be more replies from people who were intending to do something similar, or after having done something similar.

We usually get off the beaten track if possible, and intend buying a mohome in Aus to use about 3 or 4 months at a time, storing it while we return for our NZ summer, then going back for another stint - keeping it over there for around 3 or 4 years, and thoroughly exploring Aus in parts.

However, we thought we'd try out the Red Centre in someone else's mohome as an exploratory tour, in 6-berth luxury for just the 2 of us. We've been to Aus many times, but never in a mohome.

We bought a "small" (25ft) 6-berth Winnebago in the USA, used it twice (6.5 months total) within about 14 months, travelling in all states, then sold it before returning the second time. So we'll do something similar in Aus.

I'd be interested in your costs for the 4 weeks you'll be away. I know a 6-berth mohome is around $200- $230 per day all inclusive, plus motorcamp fees, plus flights, plus rental cars and accommodation either end. We are also intending staying another week in the Adelaide area after the tour (rental car and motels) before returning.

Once again, many thanks
(By the way, our blog is way out of date, but I can't seem to get back in to it - we have had a Peugeot Auto-Sleeper 4WD for the last 6 years in NZ)
"Life is what happens to you, while you're busy making other plans."

My blog is out of date, but I can't get back into it!
Currently run a Peugeot Auto-Sleeper 4WD

Opsimath2
NZMCA No: 0

Postby Opsimath2 » Sat May 31, 2014 5:55 pm

Hi. I'd like to do a tour of the US in my own motorhome as you have done. As a foreigner to the states how did you arrange to get insurance for your vehicle? As I see it, to get insurance you need to first have an American drivers license. To get the license you need to have a place of residence in the states - something I don't have. Nor do I know anyone there whose address I could use. I'd like to know if there is a simple solution or whether I have my facts wrong.

riverbend
NZMCA No: 51616

Postby riverbend » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:38 pm

Hi , We came back yesterday from a month in a motorhome travelling Darwin, into WA, down coast to Geraldton inland to Kalgoorlie, south to Esperance and Albany then Bunbury to Perth. 7500 kms. Havnt worked costs as yet but will post as soon as can. There were 3 couples, others had 2 berths and we had a 4 berth just so we had a bit more room. The fuel costs were vastly different.Ours at every fill was at least $30 to $40 more . We booked our motorhome thru Gallivantingoz and others thru Britz. Got Maui vans. One thing that was really useful was the awning which only our van had. Most nites we were all havn dinner under it until it got too cold and we moved to camp kitchens. The others had BBq on side of van which we used every nite, ours didn't but you need one as no oven only 4 elements and a griller. There is some beautiful country to see.

Return to “Travel Stories”