who's doing the loop in aussie

Forum rules
Each member may post travel stories to their own thread. You may comment on others' threads but do not take them over with your own stories. Please try to ensure these stories are entertaining and snappy. You may include a FEW pics to illustrate your story. Please don't use this as a platform for your photo albums: they are best put in (say) Picasa with a link.
cruisingmb
NZMCA No: 31939

who's doing the loop in aussie

Postby cruisingmb » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:20 pm

Hi Guys & Gals,
we're planning to 'do the loop' around Australia next winter and beyond. Is anyone currently doing this or recently? WE'd love to hear from some experienced nomads and pick some brains on what to do and what not etc. We plan to take our time over a couple of years, coming back to N.Z in between to catch up with family etc.

We're planning to buy an off road caravan & tow vehicle over there and store them inbewteen visits. Any advice woud be welcome.

cheers,
M& B. cruising

Derb
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 43528

Re: who's doing the loop in aussie

Postby Derb » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:50 pm

Join Caravaners forum - Australia. Heaps of info freely given.
Derb. 2006 LC100 LTD 4.2 T/D 5 sp auto. 2014 Southern Star 720 and 1980 Zephette 340. 2 x 100 a/h AGM. 3 x 150w solar. Ctek D250S-Dual controller/MXS15 charger.172L fresh/grey. Diesel heat. RMD8555 fridge.

Nut17
Site Admin
NZMCA No: 15589

Postby Nut17 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:39 pm

You are about to "Live my Dream" I still have not completely crossed it off our bucket list, but we have some health issues that will only get worse so our window of opportunity is shrinking :(

Enjoy your "Grey Nomad Loop" and keep up a blog on here so we can enjoy your travels.
Site Administrator admin@nzmotorhome.co.nz
Jayco Club New Zealand Member
2015 Jayco Silverline 25' 1200w Solar 600AH Lithium 250lt fresh/grey, 2KW Webasto diesel heater. 215lt Compressor fridge
2015 Jeep GC Laredo Diesel 8 Speed + leather.

Roamnz
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 29430

Postby Roamnz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:44 pm

M & B you could start by reading The blog written by a forum member, Margaret-Sightseer,
http://www.australiabycaravan.blogspot.co.nz

Although they did the big loop 2005-07 much of what they experienced is relevant today, although one thing that is changing is the recognition of the benefits of CSC or over the ditch LNT, Leave No Trace.

Another good forum/website is http://m.exploroz.com/Forum/Default.aspx and more geared towards off the black tarmac.

We did 88,000kms in 26 months around Oz 2004-06 with a Landcruiser and a 22ft off-road caravan, we had a fabulous time and met some great people.

A must for your travels will be the latest Camps Australia book and information, also available now as an ebook, see their website http://www.campsaustraliawide.com

Do your research well and you will have a wonderful time.
Smillie H

Alec
NZMCA No: 52153

Postby Alec » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:14 pm

Have sent you a PM
Alec
NZMCA #52153

Dad, when I grow up, I want to be a pilot
Son, you can't do both

riverbend
NZMCA No: 51616

Postby riverbend » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:21 am

Hi, We have just returned from 30 days in Australia. We hired a Maui 4 berth van and travelled Darwin to Broome,along coast to Geraldton, then inland to Kalgoorlie, down to Esperance and Albany then up to Perth. Travelled 7500kms. Went from 37C to 4C one morning. Will compile a posting as soon as I can get my head around it. An awesome experience showing us just a climps of the vastness of this country.

vansvilla
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 17271

Postby vansvilla » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:05 pm

Something worth considering is the relocation deals available. Godd for getting from one point to another at a very cheap rate, $5.00 a day is common, some will throw in some fuel.
Downside is that you need to be very flexible in your travels.
We used one to travel Darwin to Perth some years ago. A bit of a rush but saw a fair bit of country. Travelling is easy that way as traffic is negligible, high average speeds are possible as roads are in good condition and are usually pretty flat with only gentle curves. You are also restricted to sealed roads and some routes may be barred to you.
Extra days are also sometimes available if needed.
Cheers
John.
Duct tape is like "the Force", it has a dark side, it has a light side and it holds the universe together. nothing screams poor workmanship more than wrinkles in Duct tape.

kiwibill

Postby kiwibill » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:31 am

I live in Perth full time so if I can help in any way then PM me,cheers

Return to “Travel Stories”