Breakdown

Forum rules
Each member may post travel stories to their own thread. You may comment on others' threads but do not take them over with your own stories. Please try to ensure these stories are entertaining and snappy. You may include a FEW pics to illustrate your story. Please don't use this as a platform for your photo albums: they are best put in (say) Picasa with a link.
upandgo
NZMCA No: 29276

Breakdown

Postby upandgo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:29 pm

Who belongs to the AA and has breakdown insurance? We were given membership as a gift when we purchased our 1996 Isuzu Journey 7m bus some 8 years ago. On a number of occasions we thought about cancelling it but thank goodness we didn't. We were in the South Island 2 weeks ago when out of the blue the clutch slave cylinder burst the seal and that was at Punakaiki and on Labour weekend Saturday. Fortunately I could start the motor in first gear and we got to the motor camp where right out side was a public phone box (no cellphone coverage at Punakaiki) so called the 0800 number on the AA card. A roadside assist person arrived and told us he could not do anything and would arrange a tow to a repair garage. He called Westport and was told there were no tow trucks large enough to take our bus as this could not be flat towed and had to be loaded onto a transporter. Same reply from Greymouth. We tried local parts suppliers in Westport and Greymouth for a slave cylinder or an overhaul kit without success. The only available transporter was in Christchurch 300km away and we were out of options. The transporter arrived to pick up the bus the next day (Sunday) with a loan car on the deck for us to use so we headed for Christchurch. The total tow bill was $2021.77 of which the AA paid the maximum of $1500.00, offered us accommodation and a rental car, both of which we did not need, they were fantastic. The tow company, Warrens Electrical in Christchurch loaned us the car until I could replace the part which I had to adapt to fit but is still working fine, $36.00 from Butlers and made for a Nissan Patrol. Some of the most beautiful places to visit in our country are often remote, far from instant help, often along way from home so the moral of the story is you never know when or where you may need help so be as prepared as you can be. I am so glad I kept the AA motorhome plus membership going and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Gary

Mark S.
NZMCA No: 5173

Re: Breakdown

Postby Mark S. » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:23 pm

I had the same problem in Gentle Annie 56 Km from Taihape. Fortunately we too have motorhome plus and it was gold, as not only into taihape but no parts so home to Whakatane. I have since fitted a towing eye as suggested by a bus co. Now have an alternative to being transported as can be towed on a bar if necessary. Just as a matter of interest, I did clutch master, fitted new one and 51km later did slave. Have also on recommendation of mechanic done brake master and just as well, as we do a lot of off the main road travelling and shit does happen.

Zukiwi
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 26100

Postby Zukiwi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi Mark. Would be interested in information on your towing eye - design, fitting, load rating, connecting, etc. Happy for you to re-post on the tech section if appropriate.

Cheers
John
7m Fuso wide body, 240W solar, 440 A/h batteries, 2kW Eberspacher, 186L 3-way fridge, 400L topbox, 195L fresh, 200L grey, Suzuki Jimny toad with 4.7m OK Prowler fishing kayak, MTBs.

Mark S.
NZMCA No: 5173

Postby Mark S. » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Hi stock standard as any bus company will show you. It is bolted to chassis by quite expensive high tensile (i think) bolts into where most vehicles have towing hooks. Hooks no good for a bar as falls off. A 50mil D shackle also needed to complete set up. Cost was $100. May have been excessive ????? but it works.

Return to “Travel Stories”