Miranda the Expander (pic heavy)

Forum rules
Each member may record the build progress on their own thread. You may comment on others' threads but do not take them over with your own stories. Please try to ensure these threads are entertaining and snappy. You are welcome to include a few pics.
Expander
NZMCA No: 0

Miranda the Expander (pic heavy)

Postby Expander » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:31 pm

I thought you guys might be interested in my latest project, a caravan camper pop top. I am treating this as a bit of a diary for me too.
We had been thinking about it for a little while and roughly knew what we wanted, and this little gem came up for sale. We bought it sight unseen, and drove 1600km return to collect it off the Ferry. This was our first sighting

Once we got off the Ferry, time for a closer look. It is NZ made, a 1979 Liteweight Expander, basically a pop top with solid sides.

On the way home to Gore the name came to us, Miranda. Miranda the Expander. Amongst other things we are sheep farmers and I enjoy tinkering, love my welder, never sit still and we both love exploring the 'trail less beaten' in our country, this often means potholes, washouts, corrugations as well as great scenery. keep all this is mind as the story unfolds below.
Set up on the Lawn

My wife quickly get set too cleaning it and giving a bit of paint here and there, some pictures of the inside with the squabs out

I put it over the pit and I took a look underneath and saw a bit of the dreaded rust in the floor... so looked the other way and we then went away for the weekend to the beach

It looked a bit silly behind the wee Paj (had only had it behind big paj until now), and the rust was bothering me so it was time to get the grinder out. 1st take the wheels off, hard job to do with no wheel arches. It really was a job, had to jack van up real high then let all the air out of the tyre. So I made some

And some bigger wheels (not what was to be used)

To fit something like this, the floor had to be cut so out came the wheel arch and a bit of the floor

Couldn't get the wheel arch out of the otherside without stripping the entire sides of Miranda so just cut the back of it instead

Drilled out loads of pop rivets to pull the sides away to get at the rusty bits

This is the rust I was talking about, all the outside floor frame is shot

About now I decided to go all out, so I ordered some airbags from the states for suspension and decided the dump the duratorques it currently used, it just bobed along the road anyway, any movement in them was long gone. So with a heavier duty suspension the chassis was going to need laminated as it is only C section. Winter time is a good time for inside jobs and this counts as an inside job.

new Chassis time

Lowering the chassis off the caravan

Rolling it out

Hovervan

This was built so light!, I think I have done overkill...

Now it was suspension time for chassis, Airbags need something to hold the axle in place, do I use some very light leaf springs for placement or use some suspension arms, I decided on the latter as it seemed like fun. I got some LandCruiser 80 suspension arms and used them as my lower links. About now I got some more suitable wheels and tyres to use, I was never going to use such fat alloys, i have some std hilux rims on 205x16's, may go a smaller tyre size or 3 yet, depending on final height.

and made the top link myself using the bushes from the original top landcruiser links

Ugly as anything but no one will see it! And it works! the axle sits nicely in place and does not rotate when lifting and lowering so the airbag remains stable.

So I had the airbags and wanted to get them mounted,
Upper chassis mount

And the lower mount on the axle

I then thought mounting it so far behind the axle may create a bit much leverage than id like. I had made them like that so I could mount them as low as possible and get the chassis to sit right down on the axle when not in motion to aid getting in and out.

Then farming got in the way again and I needed the woolshed for shearing so rolled the old chassis back under and took it for a drive to another shed

Back to it
Cut the old mounts i had just made (duh) in half and mounted airbags

Then fizzed them to the chassis
Glen

The Expander poptop may be small but its where it goes that counts :)

Doit
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 13693

Re: Miranda the Expander (pic heavy)

Postby Doit » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:38 am

It looks like an interesting project for idle hands. Great photos.
Trevor
NZMCA member, 2005 Canter 3.6l. 370w solar. 220AH Gel house,195l Fresh/150l grey. VSR,12v Equaliser charger, 7 stage 240v charger, 1000w mod sine inverter, 300w pure sine inverter, 12v Vitrfrigo 90l fridge. Webasto diesel heater. Thetford WC.

Rovers
NZMCA No: 44205

Postby Rovers » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:45 am

Busy boy!!
Cheers
Lindsay
Vertical and breathing, has to be a good day.

Nut17
Site Admin
NZMCA No: 15589

Postby Nut17 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:57 am

Wow, A serious rebuild from the ground up - literally. I like the look of that suspension set up. Are you going to install some shockies? The only thing missing from what I can see is a "watts linkage" to stop lateral movement. Or is that pivoting frame attached to the centre of the axle fitted for that purpose?
Site Administrator admin@nzmotorhome.co.nz
Jayco Club New Zealand Member
2015 Jayco Silverline 25' 1200w Solar 600AH Lithium 250lt fresh/grey, 2KW Webasto diesel heater. 215lt Compressor fridge
2015 Jeep GC Laredo Diesel 8 Speed + leather.

Expander

Postby Expander » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:24 am

Thanks guys, I had a bit more written last night but some images must ahve been over 480 high so I packed up. Yes, it has shockies now and I dedided I didn't need a Watts linkage or a panhard bar for lateral movement, this setup is basically what Range Rover used for 25 years, having two chassis mounts and only one axle mount stops the sideways.

I ordered a new 47 litre water tank to go right behind the axle
Then I started on the floor of Miranda, the reason all this started! So after lifting her off the chassis (again) I got a new rear sub frame made up
Here it is sticking out the side so I can weld the top of the joins.

So I got busy with the water tank frame, I wanted it removeable to be able to fully drain it for the winter frosts.

New mudguard frame so I could pop rivet exterior back into place nice and strong
Glen

Expander

Postby Expander » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:55 am

Rear bumper and strengthening (not that it needs it!)

Finally got the Frame painted! :TU

Stub axles welded on, pissed me off a bit as the engineer took 1mm too much off the stubs so they were hard to centre in the axle but hopefully it is close enough. Put the new chassis under the caravan

Made up some shock absorber mounts

Cut the front of the drawbar off to make a mount for tow hitch

Tow mount

And here is Miranda sitting under her own weight on 205R16 tyres with about 2 inches of air in the airbags, so it can go lower and another 5 inches higher

Side access panel

Not content with all this,it was still eating away at my insides that there was still the rusty floor in the front to deal with as I had planned to do that next winter. But thought what the heck, out with the grinder. 1st a tidy up

Had to strip interior draws at the front and unscrew/drill out/beat out old stuff, what a job! But got there eventually

Done - happy now, no rust! Reassemble time
New mudguards

Brakes plumbed, airlines done

Rear stabilisers, obviously the wind down normal type were going to need a 4 inch block of wood to be effective so redesign

This is in its travel position, it sits about 2 inches proud of the roof and is going to be a kayak mount which will run the length of Miranda

So thats an update, going for a WOF check on Tuesday :o

I hope you have enjoyed the read, we look forward to going out in it, most of the big stuff is done now, just need to remount opening springs and bolt chassis to body properly.
Glen

muzzanic
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 52739

Postby muzzanic » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:54 pm

Nice work.

I myself would have made the A arm a bit stronger.

I have to say with your skills, I'm looking forward to the New Full Van build for next summer :TU

Murray
Murray and Niki.
'Riders Retreat'
2007 Mitsi Fuso Canter 3.9 Turbo Diesel , 520w Solar, 500 A/h Lithium batteries
Maxxair Vents, 130L 12v Fridge. 240v Inverters 2500w,190L water.
We also have a second 1 of these campers with a tow bar that we rent out.

Expander

Postby Expander » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:03 pm

Thanks Murray,

The A arm is the only part I am thinking about as well, I sort of just hashed it together and always had planned to make a stronger triangle one.

Glen.
Glen

Return to “Build Stories”