Danseys Pass & Kyeburn Diggings

Motorhomes "on the road". Routes, destinations, POP's, Activities, Employment etc
Forum rules
When posting images, please post only thumbnails that link to your image. This can be achieved using the "Message Board" option in PostImage.
Moderators may remove any images that do not conform with this request without notice.
This is in consideration of those members who have small data caps :-)
FlyingKiwiGirl
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 46960
Location: Travelling the South Island for how ever long it takes...2 years & counting

Danseys Pass & Kyeburn Diggings

Postby FlyingKiwiGirl » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:57 pm

For those that might like to read about Danseys Pass here's my blog post- it is only the south side (Naseby) to the summit though.

Danseys Pass

Rovers
NZMCA No: 44205

Re: Danseys Pass & Kyeburn Diggings

Postby Rovers » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:27 am

Shellie, once again a lovely blog on a fantastic part of our fair country, I can see a book in the offing because your photos are magic.

keep it up
Regards
Lindsay
Vertical and breathing, has to be a good day.

FlyingKiwiGirl
Supporter
Supporter
Location: Travelling the South Island for how ever long it takes...2 years & counting

Postby FlyingKiwiGirl » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:56 pm

Thanks Lindsay, glad you enjoyed it. We loved the Maniototo, we'll be back in the late summer to finish it off and see some autumn colour.

Rocky
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 39474

Postby Rocky » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:18 pm

As usual Shellie great story telling and photography. In my late 20's we went fishing from Oamaru to Lake Benmore
On our way home decided to go to Dansey's Pass pub for a drink (yea i know). After 3 days and trip through Ranfurly, back home over the pig route to our wives............. :evil: :x :o

FlyingKiwiGirl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby FlyingKiwiGirl » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:25 am

Thanks Les, great story- bet you were on household chores and trying to earn brownie points for months afterwards! Must be the adventure in kiwis- as a teenager we used to drive to Taupo (from Napier) on a Friday night for a burger (and a sly drink) before returning before curfew!

UBIQUE
NZMCA No: 58722

Postby UBIQUE » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:46 pm

Loved your blog and the memories it brought out. I travelled that road from Duntroon in the mid 1970's when the hotel was owned by an elderly and friendly couple called Fred and Ida. I worked for the breweries then, and was installing some equipment in the hotel. When I drew up outside the hotel Ida came out and asked where I had come from, I told her and she rushed back in to phone her son.

He farmed the Duntroon end of the pass and had seen me pass, however he was unable to stop me and warn that the road was blocked by snow! I found that out over the next few hours of sweat, but I was in my twenties, bullet proof, and had a shovel.

Incidentally, Fred and his son with some friends did a great of the renovations work to the hotel. I seem to remember it was in a poor state of repair when they bought it, and it was certainly not looking its best when I first seen it, however when they had finished it...and coupled with their friendliness . It was fantastic. :)

Ubique.

FlyingKiwiGirl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby FlyingKiwiGirl » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:10 pm

Thanks Ubique, pleased you enjoyed it too. I bet the road was a lot rougher in the '70s never mind the snow. The pub had a lovely welcoming feel about it with a large roaring fire blasting away but as the manager's husband told us (after he came driving like a bat out of hell down a track to see who had stopped) they don't get too many people through in the winter. We later met an old timer at the Royal in Naseby who was the nearest neighbour to the Dansey Pass Hotel, he'd sold his farm and just had his house and an acre of land, got by on gold dust, literally. The Royal was now his 'local' (30kms), he'd had a falling out with the manager and 'would never set foot in there again!'

UBIQUE
NZMCA No: 58722

Postby UBIQUE » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:41 am

FlyingKiwiGirl wrote: bet the road was a lot rougher in the '70s
It may have been, but from your photos it more or less looks the same barren and lonely place I remember. I don't mean that in any ugly sense, I always though it had a sort of haunted beauty, and in those years I travelled it a few times, sometimes with my wife and children along for adventure and for company.

But now....the photos, the memories and your blog makes me want to travel it again. Regretfully my wife has passed, my children have grown up, and my grand children are teenagers with teenagers things to do. So come the summer or the autumn, I will travel it one more time and I can always pretend they are with me again :)

Ubique.

Return to “Touring”