Member Discount - Kawhia Camping Ground

Motorhomes "on the road". Routes, destinations, POP's, Activities, Employment etc
Forum rules
When posting images, please post only thumbnails that link to your image. This can be achieved using the "Message Board" option in PostImage.
Moderators may remove any images that do not conform with this request without notice.
This is in consideration of those members who have small data caps :-)
Shilo
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 0

Member Discount - Kawhia Camping Ground

Postby Shilo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:56 am

When I joined the forum I dreamed of owning in a campervan, unfortunately for me some where along the way I got confused and 3 weeks ago ended up with a camping ground instead! :o

Since I have enjoyed the forum I want to give something back, thus the Kawhia Camping Ground now offers a discounted rate of $12 per adult per night to all NZ Motorhome and Caravan Forum members staying here. Currently the standard rate is $17, NZMCA rate is $15 so this represents a $5 saving. When you arrive here, just tell me you are a member and what your forum name is and the special rate will apply.

Also, having 10 years experience working in camping grounds previously I am well aware of both sides of the freedom camping debate. But unlike most commercial camping grounds I fully support self contained freedom camping. Without it there would be very few motorhomers on the road and the camps would not get the business anyway. So if you are in the area and want to use the facilities, put a load of washing through the machines and dryer or even recharge the batteries for a bit but not stay the night you are still welcome here. There will be a small charge of course but nothing outrageous (for example showers are $2).

Because the camp is only small and gets congested during the main holiday season the above offer unfortunately can not apply during the public holiday periods. But I hope you pop over sometime to enjoy Kawhia's fishing, hot water beach, and the laid back lifestyle of the town.

Mark
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 29132

Re: Member Discount - Kawhia Camping Ground

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:08 am

Thanks go to Shilo for this generous initiative. By my calculation, that almost a 30% discount :)

Also good to know that you are welcome to visit and make use of some of the facilities on offer if you are in the area (like a shower without having to use the stopwatch!).

(AND WiFi, I am told :) )

I was unaware of the Hot water beach at Kawhia. Sounds like a visit will be in order next winter :)

I'm pleased to endorse Shilo's initiative and wish him well with his new venture.
Mark

Shilo
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 0

Postby Shilo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:43 am

Thanks Mark for letting me post up the offer. Reckon its a Win, Win, Win for all parties: Hopefully guests leave to spread the word that there is a place called Kawhia that is worth visiting, the members get to stay at a rate not much more then a standard DOC site and non members get exposed to the forums promotional material and hopefully sign up as members. I am currently doing up the the camp to an acceptable standard, so to those who have stayed previously - expect a lot of improvements next time you are here.

Te Puia Springs are on Ocean Beach just up the road from the camp and are exposed 2 hours either side of low tide. Its very similar to Hot Water Beach on the Coromandel but with the main difference being that you will most likely have the beach to yourself and not packed like stranded sardines (spades are available at the camp). Kawhia itself is a very "quaint" and sleepy town where you shouldn't be surprised to see horses in front of the shop and cafe's instead of cars. The drive from Raglan is pretty scenic (may be slow going for the big rigs) and the regular campers tell me the harbour and Ocean beach has some of the best fishing in the Nth Island. The harbour with its Pancake Rock formations is meant to be a great kayaking - although I haven't had a chance to paddle it myself yet! :(

FlyingKiwiGirl
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 46960
Location: Travelling the South Island for how ever long it takes...2 years & counting

Postby FlyingKiwiGirl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:45 am

Thankyou Shilo, that is a very generous offer, especially the use of, if needed, facilities at a small fee. If only other campgrounds thought like you.

Nut17
Site Admin
NZMCA No: 15589

Postby Nut17 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:05 am

Who knows, this intelligent initiative may start a trend :) :-| Well done Shilo, you will definitely get some business from us in the future.
Site Administrator admin@nzmotorhome.co.nz
Jayco Club New Zealand Member
2015 Jayco Silverline 25' 1200w Solar 600AH Lithium 250lt fresh/grey, 2KW Webasto diesel heater. 215lt Compressor fridge
2015 Jeep GC Laredo Diesel 8 Speed + leather.

Paul
NZMCA No: 35238

Postby Paul » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:11 am

Te Puia Hot Springs (Kawhia ) Here
174.77983 -38.06607
Paul
1989 9 METER HINO
AWW194
NZMCA 35238
http://paulkarl.blogspot.com

hort1
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 50228

Postby hort1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:47 pm

Thanks Shilo yes you will get to see us in your camp.
I wish you all the very best and may your new venture be a very big success.
My Shout.

Warwick
Warwick & Bernadette nzmca 50228 Mazda BT-50 Jayco 24ft Silverline Outback.800w solar, 200ah Lithium, 246 Water, 270 Grey Jayco Club New Zealand member.

Rosemary&Peter
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 32726

Postby Rosemary&Peter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:18 pm

Sounds good Shilo! I'm assuming you've taken over the 'boat ramp' campground? Brace yourself for the silly season, Kawhia really goes off over Xmas and New Years! Kawhia would be one of our favourite places, having spent many hours fishing from the wharf, as well as going out on the charter boats. Could be a niche there...cheaper overnight parking not too far from the wharf?

The Otorohanga District Council is a tad anti- motorhome, and there are not too many free camping opportunities in the area, although there are a couple of excellent POPs. Digging a private hot pool on the beach is very good....but folks be warned...the sand gets VERY hot in the summer...so wear your jandals, and be prepared to carry little dogs.

The BEST fish and chips in the known universe down by the wharf, and the pub on the corner has a lovely garden bar and plenty of parking.

However...the highway (31) has been known to simply disappear in parts, so take care, although the scenery from the top of the ridge is stunning. This area is steeped in history, both pre and post Euro. This was the original stomping ground (literally) of Te Rauparaha, as told in the two novels by Marlborough writer Tom O' Connor "Tides Of Kawhia" and "Pathways of Taranaki". The description of early Maori paddling their waka over the Kawhia Bar...awesome.

All the best Shilo with your new venture...and we'll definately take you up on your offer.

Return to “Touring”