The Future of the Forum

Anything related to motorhoming not covered in any other forums.
Mark
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 29132

The Future of the Forum

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:59 pm

In July 2016 the Forum will have been going for 8 years.

I have decided that it is time for me to move on from owning the forum - and that will happen on or before 30 June 2016.

I am very happy at what has been achieved. From a rather precarious existence in the first year or so (it took us almost two years to reach our first 1000 members) the Forum's future, in terms of membership, is now assured.

It has become the most extensive and accessible source of information for motorhomers and caravanners available in New Zealand.
So I'm happy that this is a good time to move on.

So, we need someone to step up and agree to take it on.

I hope there is someone within the forum community who thinks that it is a worthwhile project to keep out forum going. They won't have to do it on their own, because they will be able to select a group of like-minded people to assist them. They may, or may not, like one or more of the current Crew to stay on and help them: it's over to them.

The technical skills they will need are:
The ability to upload and download files between their computer and the website.
Some rudimentary knowledge of running software utilities.
Basic understanding of HTML/PHP and CSS.

People skills would be useful (though not essential, as it will be appreciated that I have muddled through for 7 years or so).

It may even be that a partnership of two or more members is an appropriate future owner.

I'm putting this out there this early, because Kathy and I will be away for three of the intervening months and it could take a while
to sort out the ins and outs of a transfer.

If anyone has a genuine interest in exploring this idea then they should contact me by email with specific questions.
admin@nzmotorhome.co.nz.
Mark
I ache in the places where I used to play - Leonard Cohen

*Glenn*
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 53220

Re: The Future of the Forum

Postby *Glenn* » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:22 pm

Hi Mark
I would like to put my hand up to help, but not take over. I am a moderator and sponsor on a BMW forum and have experience in that area. I don't have any agendas to pursue and I don't dictate or push my opinions. If the new people need a hand I'm happy to help in the fields I have knowledge in.
I'd also like to wish you all the best with your foreseeable adventures
Regards
Glenn
Glenn & Glenda NZMCA #53220
2000 Mercedes Sprinter 2.2 TDI Sprintmatic Cab Over,160w24v Solar,2X6v 286Ah AGM batteries,MPPT Voltronic shunt monitoring,
monitored 90LF&G water,2KW Propex LPG heater, 85l Isotherm 12v FF, 20l Suburban H/water

Mark
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:51 pm

Thanks Glenn. It certainly sounds as if you have some useful experience and awareness.
Your willingness to help will be noted by whoever decides to take over.
It's good to see there is a willingness to get involved. :)
Mark

razor

Postby razor » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:50 pm

sorry to see the discussion you have done an exceptional job and they will be big boots to fill :cry:
Leave only wheel tracks and diesel fumes (borrowed quote)
Motorhomes safer than houses
Full time roader

Nut17
Site Admin
NZMCA No: 15589

Postby Nut17 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:30 am

Crikey Mark - You have stirred up a bit if a dilemma!! I have enough big changes happening in my life at present and do not need the the possibility of a shaky future of the forum to add to my life challenges. :o :shock: This forum provides a great therapy for a number of members and probably as many lurkers/visitors. Your "no nonsense" approach supported by a bunch of equally level headed moderators has allowed this forum to blossom to the great institution it has become.

However, I am sure that there will be a suitable candidate within our ranks to take on what must be a rewarding and satisfying task. :-T
Site Administrator admin@nzmotorhome.co.nz
Jayco Club New Zealand Member
2015 Jayco Silverline 25' 1200w Solar 600AH Lithium 250lt fresh/grey, 2KW Webasto diesel heater. 215lt Compressor fridge
2015 Jeep GC Laredo Diesel 8 Speed + leather.

Mark
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:07 am

Thanks Ray and Chris :)
I am sure that there will be a suitable candidate within our ranks to take on what must be a rewarding and satisfying task.

I hope you're right - or a consortium, of course - to share the spoils of reward and satisfaction.
Mark

beatsmilking
NZMCA No: 42623

Postby beatsmilking » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:52 am

I have the I.T. skills - I've developed MotorCamps.com and associated app with a similar history to the forum - and I'm an I.T. contractor during office hours, I'm a full-time motor-homer - I share the passion for the lifestyle, I'm 44 - so have plenty of energy to keep the forum going for plenty more years to come.

As I've indicated to Mark on several occasions over the years - I believe a collaboration between MotorCamps and the forum would be beneficial for both sites. I think MotorCamps would bring some extra eyeballs and more posts to the forum - and I would look at integrating it onto the mobile apps too. This forum already has a wealth of informative posts that can help inform travellers around NZ be they from another country here on holiday, or locals living the life - or holidaying here themselves. Both sites have been about sharing with others, providing help and information freely to fellow travellers.

I can certainly move the forum along technology wise to help it survive a more mobile device driven world, making it easy to post photos to the forum directly from the phone camera, forum chat & nearby members etc that location based devices can provide.

I do however I do spend a lot of time tinkering with the code than writing posts, so would still need the good help of any that could lend a hand if my hat were to be chosen..

and so I'm throwing my hat into the ring :)
Rob
6m Nissan Civilian
Discover, Plan, Share - MotorCamps.com

kiwigold
NZMCA No: 40111

Postby kiwigold » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:18 pm

Good onya mate. Well done.

Cheers Trev
Trev

Return to “General Discussions”