Thoughts on second hand english imported caravans??

Fitting out your motorhome: All the trades
Teardrop

Re: Thoughts on second hand english imported caravans??

Postby Teardrop » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:10 pm

Matt, in response to those images that you say are impact damage, they were actually caused by airbags inside the container. Not a good idea I think for any van, but the purpose of putting those photos up was to show the insulation, which you can see how thin it is in one of them, and there is none at all in the other. You often don't see these things until a van is opened up, but I have seen a number now, and the insulation in UK vans is generally poor. I have seen many comments over time indicating how good the insulation is in UK vans, and I needed to debunk that myth.

The point is that the OP is looking at second hand vans, and they may very well fall into the era I am taking about. The latest NZMCA Motorcaravanner has a warning about older imported UK vans, in that case a specific experience with a 1998 model.

I also do not have a lot of faith necessarily in Australian vans because there is a large degree of variability. But the same applies to anything secondhand because you have no idea how it has been looked after. Unfortunately, competent inspectors of caravans who can give a good independent appraisal could be hard to come by.

Dene

rasdex
NZMCA No: 41001

Postby rasdex » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:41 pm

Its a bit like the Ford V Holden camp some people wont touch UK vans with a barge pole others realise that kiwi vans are like garden sheds, and in comparison UK vans are like the Ritz. nether camp is going to admit to liking the other.
Chap A might know a chap B who had a dodgy UK van so thats it there all crap, but there are hundreds of happy vanners out there in fantastic older UK vans.

Yes i have had a couple of (older) UK vans both have been fantastic and trouble free.

Teardrop

Postby Teardrop » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:09 pm

rasdex wrote:others realise that kiwi vans are like garden sheds, and in comparison UK vans are like the Ritz.

Only those who have never looked inside a modern Kiwi van.

Who noticed the Kea at the Tauranga show with a F & P dish drawer in the kitchen? Sadly, Andrew & Debbie are no longer the only ones that can claim that luxury in a caravan in NZ. No UK vans can compete with that, as it would fall through the floor :-T Just kidding Matt, before you get started :TU

Cheers, Dene

rasdex

Postby rasdex » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:39 am

Thats all well and good if you have 70k to spend...... oh and a large 4x4 to drag it with.
Just for one moment imagine you have only $25k to spend.

yachty
NZMCA No: 39805

Postby yachty » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:03 am

Cavavan etc are horses for courses, from what i have seen most NZ/Aussie vans are built strong and well, but heavy. English ones are built light and designed for a shorter life span.

What would i be looking for if i was buying a UK Van,

(1) slime or mildew around joints and windows on outside
(2) any interior lining (vinyl) coming off
(3) soft or dull sounding ply on interior esp back, front and around windows
(4) any movement around joints or door ways on exterior

I would definitely have a Cris check done (online) it costs but it will confirm the origins of van. you need the number on the windows to do this and the on internet pay for check (similar to Carjam). There is a good percentage of vans brought in to NZ that have dubious histories, not only by individual imports but also by dealers
Peter
RV Repairs Ltd, 1996 Mitsubishi Rosa, 360w solar, 220ah AGM battries, 110 compressor fridge

Mark S.
NZMCA No: 5173

Postby Mark S. » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:59 pm

Have just returned from a trip across the ditch. Brother is a Grey Nomad and he told me of being in the middle of nowhere and saw a car and van on side of road with distress signal out. Stopped to help and was told look inside van. Well known brand of European van supposed to be top of line, tranvelled 6000km in four months all on sealed roads. Total interior lying on floor in a heap. 700km to nearest repairer. This was one seen by him, three he knows of as well as several M\H.

Rovers
NZMCA No: 44205

Postby Rovers » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:33 pm

And then there are the Aussie made caravans that fall apart as well, cousin and her husband had the chassis on their well known Aussie van fail, luckily they realised before it let go, could have been very messy.

Cheers
Linz
Vertical and breathing, has to be a good day.

rasdex

Postby rasdex » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:26 pm

Mark S. wrote:Have just returned from a trip across the ditch. Brother is a Grey Nomad and he told me of being in the middle of nowhere and saw a car and van on side of road with distress signal out. Stopped to help and was told look inside van. Well known brand of European van supposed to be top of line, tranvelled 6000km in four months all on sealed roads. Total interior lying on floor in a heap. 700km to nearest repairer. This was one seen by him, three he knows of as well as several M\H.

Only towed on sealed roads - yea right......

Return to “Technical”