100 more grey hairs......

Fitting out your motorhome: All the trades
Derb
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 43528

Re: 100 more grey hairs......

Postby Derb » Mon May 11, 2015 8:05 am

Generally speaking most engines have a 100k cam-belt change interval. By then they are well due for replacement! You gotta remember that they do a heck of a lot of work. Not all engines are "interference" engines either but those that are can be very expensive to repair iffen the pistons clout the valves. They are not all that hard to replace yourself either. The cheats way of by-passing timing issues is to use a stanley knife to split the old belt in half length wise (which makes them a very narrow belt), cut the front-most section through and remove. Then slide the new belt on as far as you can against the remaining old belt and use it to push the old belt off the back of the timing pulleys, cut through the old belt and remove. Cheers.
Derb. 2006 LC100 LTD 4.2 T/D 5 sp auto. 2014 Southern Star 720 and 1980 Zephette 340. 2 x 100 a/h AGM. 3 x 150w solar. Ctek D250S-Dual controller/MXS15 charger.172L fresh/grey. Diesel heat. RMD8555 fridge.

*Glenn*
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 53220

Postby *Glenn* » Mon May 11, 2015 8:27 am

All manufacturers also give a replacement interval based on time as well. It's usually every 5 years OR 100,000km, which ever occurs first. There are variations on some engine types though. Best to check with dealer for correct intervals for your model vehicle / engine.
Glenn & Glenda NZMCA #53220
2000 Mercedes Sprinter 2.2 TDI Sprintmatic Cab Over,160w24v Solar,2X6v 286Ah AGM batteries,MPPT Voltronic shunt monitoring,
monitored 90LF&G water,2KW Propex LPG heater, 85l Isotherm 12v FF, 20l Suburban H/water

Rosemary&Peter
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 32726

Postby Rosemary&Peter » Fri May 15, 2015 9:04 pm

Well, just an update....

Gee, thanks folks for the heads up about what it was going to cost to replace the timing belt. :roll: :shock:

After the initial shock from the first estimate I got....blooming heck!!!!! $1000-1200!!!

It would appear that this routine task requires that the whatsit is disconnected from the whoosit which means that the whatchamacallit has to be drained and the flibbertigibbet has to be reconditioned....or something along those lines. "Oh, and while we have the whoosit off we might as well check the doodad, and maybe replace it."

So, I phoned around for a couple of more estimates...including one of our usual places....who have yet to call back :roll:

We needed a routine service a couple of weeks ago and had it done at CAL Isuzu at the Mount. Very efficient outfit, and since their branch in Hamilton was the only one to call back...we went with them.

(We did a run up to Auckland in the meantime, nerve-wracking with that orange light on, in the traffic)

Boy oh boy....what a set up! I have never seen such a clean and tidy workshop...ever. Huge, and clearly set up for big trucks and commercial fleet servicing, and I confess to feeling a little embarrassed rolling on up with my wee Bus.

However, I dropped her off yesterday and they were done right on 5 pm today, so I'll pick her up in the morning.

AND....it may not be quite as expensive as the estimate as the guy who worked on it was really fast( and really thin??? as I was told that with a front engine bus its a very tight squeeze to access the whoosit)...and the doodad wasn't an issue after all. :D

I am going to start saving towards the next one....

Mark S.
NZMCA No: 5173

Postby Mark S. » Sat May 16, 2015 2:41 pm

Well done Rosemary, you certainly have got all the technical stuff worked out and the right names too. Like all women of a certain age, you have life and men sorted out. They obviously understand your profound knowledge. Always a pleasure to read your posts.

Rosemary&Peter
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 32726

Postby Rosemary&Peter » Sat May 16, 2015 4:16 pm

And a pleasure it was picking her up.....$660.00 :D :D :D

Question....Surely, (and I know this is a lady's query) why, when replacement of said part occurs routinely, is it so danged hard to get at???

If we fairer humans designed these things.....it would be a five minute job!

CAL Isuzu will be getting more custom from us in the future, with two out of two branches having given great service.

Mark S. Many years ago, in my yoof, I was far more au fait with the technical terms. For a while I did a brisk trade in doing complete brake overhauls on older model cars. I would recondition the whole system from the master cylinder to the slave cylinders and fit new pads and shoes. Drain and bleed the pipes....replacing hoses when necessary...and I'd get the discs reground at the local brake shop. The final task was to shoot down to the testing station and put the vehicle over the rollers. Pleased to say I inevitably got perfectly balanced results.

Sadly, my skills only ran to cars under 1987 or so....my favourite being circa 1964-74.

Remember back in the days when you could lift up the bonnet of a car and actually recognise (and name correctly ;) )the various components?

johnaye
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 32367

Postby johnaye » Sat May 16, 2015 4:33 pm

And repair or replace every one of them!!!!!
Regards John

Dont forget the relevance of the forget me not flower

Doit
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 13693

Postby Doit » Sat May 16, 2015 5:08 pm

That's an amazing price. Does the bus have more power now?

As the belt wears the timing must change.

I had an extra alternator removed and both king pins replaced in my Mitsubishi and it feels more powerful now. I have to hold it back to 90 now. Before I had trouble getting much over 90 on a flat road. It will be interesting to see how the diesel consumption has changed.
Trevor
NZMCA member, 2005 Canter 3.6l. 370w solar. 220AH Gel house,195l Fresh/150l grey. VSR,12v Equaliser charger, 7 stage 240v charger, 1000w mod sine inverter, 300w pure sine inverter, 12v Vitrfrigo 90l fridge. Webasto diesel heater. Thetford WC.

Derb
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 43528

Postby Derb » Sat May 16, 2015 5:50 pm

I would be very surprised if the timing belt replacement made any difference whatsoever. It would have to have significant stretch to adversely affect timing. Likewise alternator removal - unless the alternator had substantial constant load on it. Switching on your vehicles headlamps would make more difference. Believe it or no though - an oil change can sometimes make a noticeable difference. :o
Derb. 2006 LC100 LTD 4.2 T/D 5 sp auto. 2014 Southern Star 720 and 1980 Zephette 340. 2 x 100 a/h AGM. 3 x 150w solar. Ctek D250S-Dual controller/MXS15 charger.172L fresh/grey. Diesel heat. RMD8555 fridge.

Return to “Technical”