Sealer for window rubbers

Fitting out your motorhome: All the trades
Pjb
NZMCA No: 50853

Sealer for window rubbers

Postby Pjb » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:21 am

Hi does anyone know if there is anything I can use to seal old window rubbers
The problem I have is that I have just repainted and spent many hours polishing aluminum on the body but I'm now noticing black streaks down my nice new white paint from of the window rubbers is there anything I can put on the rubber to stop this ?!?!?
Thanks

BUSRSQ
NZMCA No: 0

Re: Sealer for window rubbers

Postby BUSRSQ » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:47 am

pretty much no, could try spray on silicon but new rubbers will be the only real answer

petercw
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 39606
Location: Matamata .. Mowing the lawn or out in Growly Bear hvg fun.

Postby petercw » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:53 pm

http://www.armorall.com.au/car-care-tips/

Armorall may work, read this, easily available at Repco and Supercheap
Retired & just Cruzing in "Growly Bear" that has everything we need..
85 C.I.Munroe- 3.4L nonturbo Delta 5spd manual 13B Toyota diesel.
"Limited 90 kms -Drive safe - Pass with care"
Peter & Jeni

david 60

Postby david 60 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:24 pm

This can be common after a paint then cut and polish. If it wasn't happening before you painted and polished it, then the problem is with what happened in the paint and polish.
What is common, your window rubbers have had a stir up with masking tape and polish. You will probably find the black that is running down your van is an old sun damaged top rubber surface mixed with polish that hasn't stuck and let go which is now running down your van. Wash the rubbers and streaks with soapy water as it happens and hopefully it will stop. Do not use a strong cleaner on new paint, dishwashing is fine. Clean the black streaks as you see them don't leave them they could stain the paint. also don't use silicon it could react with new paint and only collects dust. Depends on what paint you used but some can be soft for months so treat it with care.
Have just read your post properly, you say you polished the aluminum, aluminum has a black film on it, check your rag it will be black.
Hopefully all you have is the polish, black rubber, and aluminium film running down the van, nothing a gental scrub won't fix.

If it wasn't there before you painted it will be the polishing. cheers david

Bearcraft
NZMCA No: 19677

Postby Bearcraft » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:56 pm

A trick I used when I had a Bedford bus was to wash the window rubbers and when dry paint them with tyre black. Get a type you just brush on. I would repeat this every few months and it solved the problem.

Return to “Technical”