Which house battery?

Megan
NZMCA No: 37708

Which house battery?

Postby Megan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:24 pm

I have done much reading on here about deep cycle battery's and I'm totally confused.
Mine is fading and needs replacing. But which one?? Here is my situation :
I live in my van full time, doing seasonal work. So far I have luckily been able to plug in to power for most of the time. I don't yet have a solar panel but I expect the need will eventually arise. Freedom camping (and being off grid) amounts to about 6 weeks a year with a lot of driving during that time so keeping the house battery topped up. I have LED lighting, 2 water pumps ( toilet flusher and kitchen/shower), charge my cell phone and sometimes a small Bluetooth music speaker. I'm thinking about buying a tablet, and I've recently been given a small household tv that can run off 12v, though I'm a pretty light tv watcher, preferring to read hence the probable purchase of a tablet/kindle.
So with all the above considered, can someone please give me some advice. I've recently been to 2 businesses that sell deep cycle battery's, and both had them for $250 to $280. This seems cheap to me, but is it that the price is coming down as in other areas of technology?? I would rather pay more for something reliable, robust and long serving. My van is my home after all!

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 21917

Re: Which house battery?

Postby Neddy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:12 am

Megan, you have several decisions to make.
(1) Battery Size.
Your electrical needs are quite small and a battery of around 100 AmpHours would be quite suitable.
You could certainly get by with less and a bit more wouldn't do any harm.
(2) Battery Type.
There are 3 main options.
(i) Flooded Lead acid. Cheapest option, but require regular maintenance and can leak.
(ii) AGM. Most common choice.
(iii) Lithium. Very light but very expensive.
Here is a quick, rough, price/expected life comparison for a 100Ah battery :-
Flooded $250 - $400 Battery life ?8 years?
Chinese AGM $300 ?5years
American AGM $600 ?10 years
Lithium $1200 ?10+ years?

All of these options have their pros and cons, but in my opinion, the most appropriate, cost-effective solution for you would be a Chinese AGM battery. Battery selection is a surprisingly contentious topic though, so you must expect that others may well think differently.

It would be interesting to know the size, type and age of your existing battery, which I presume you found to be quite satisfactory.

Neville.

petercw
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 39606
Location: Matamata .. Mowing the lawn or out in Growly Bear hvg fun.

Postby petercw » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:10 pm

Check out AASolar.co.nz and look at the pricing there.. I got a 135hrs AGM and am very happy with it.. they will freight to you. chrs
Retired & just Cruzing in "Growly Bear" that has everything we need..
85 C.I.Munroe- 3.4L nonturbo Delta 5spd manual 13B Toyota diesel.
"Limited 90 kms -Drive safe - Pass with care"
Peter & Jeni

Megan

Postby Megan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:42 pm

Hi Neville, I hope the following details give you the answers you need. The current house battery is an Endurant 105 A/H , fitted 12/11/03 !! Also written on it is MDC27/105.

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 21917

Postby Neddy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:23 pm

That is a good quality USA made, 105 Amphour flooded, low maintenance, deep cycle battery.
It would cost about $350 to replace, but I am sure there are better, more convenient options for you.

It lasted roughly 12 years - you really can't hope for any better than that!
When it was new(ish) did you find that 105 Amphours met your needs OK?

A lot has changed since I said "In my opinion, the most appropriate, cost-effective solution for you would be a 100 Amphour Chinese AGM battery." and that is no longer my recommendation.

Neville.

Megan

Postby Megan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:02 pm

The current battery has been fine, I've had the van 4 years.

Desultory

Postby Desultory » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:40 pm

There is a new technology battery available (Lead Carbon SuperCapacitor) that will outlast typically standard AGM and most typical Flooded batteries by at least 2-3x the life and it also allows a 100% Depth of Discharge (which would usually kill typical normal deep cycle batteries pretty quickly).

Best part is that they're maintanence free (so no water top ups needed), the bad part is that they cost more than a normal AGM or flooded battery.

So it's up to you if you want something high quality with latest technology that will last longer and be hassle free, or if you'd rather pay less upfront and have to replace it in 3-4 years time or deal with maintanence etc.

I hope this info helps thanks.

Regards
Steve

Mark
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 29132

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:37 am

Steve
I'm sure the OP would find your post much more useful if you were to provide some figures on price and life of this option so that she can compare them with Neddy's independent figures.
Mark
I ache in the places where I used to play - Leonard Cohen

Return to “Electrical”