AGM/Gel Hybrid Batteries.

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 21917

AGM/Gel Hybrid Batteries.

Postby Neddy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:45 am

Hybrid AGM/Gel batteries are now readily available in New Zealand. These combine the strengths of Absorbed Glass Mat batteries (eg high current capacity) with the strengths of Gel batteries (eg high cycle capacity).
Essentially, they are AGM batteries with the electrolyte gelled. A major advantage over the usual "starved electrolyte" AGM battery is the extra water in the battery. Sooner or later, slow electrolyte depletion will cause AGM battery failure and the extra water in the hybrid battery translates directly into longer battery life.

AGM/Gel hybrid batteries are roughly the same price and weight as conventional AGM batteries, but can be expected to have double the life (10 years rather than 5) and triple the number of life cycles of the typical Chinese sourced AGM batteries available in NZ.
Here is a table that compares the performance of various batteries. The figures pertain to 100 AmpHour batteries and give the number of duty cycles that can be expected when the battery is regularly discharged to 50% of its capacity. This is a fairly stringent test that is more demanding than general useage.

Compiling a chart like this is not easy. Some manufacturers/retailers cannot (or will not) provide "DoD vs Expected Life Cycles" information. For others, discharging their AGM batteries by 50% voids any warranty, so they could not be included in the table.
See how "mid market" Chinese AGM batteries are very much inferior to the best USA sourced AGM batteries.
BUT, notice how their low price compensates for this fact, making their running costs identical.
The only thing that really matters here is the bottom line "bangs per buck". How many 50% battery discharge cycles do you get for a dollar? See how AGM/Gel Hybrid batteries absolutely knock the socks off standard AGM batteries - no matter how expensive they might be. Guess what type my next set of House batteries will be!
They are available in 100, 130, 150, 200, and 250 AmpHour capacities.
More information here http://www.energyunlimited.co.nz/about-vrla-batteries/

Enough words, let the numbers tell the story.......
ImageAGM (CHINA)
Image AGM (USA)
Image AGM/GEL HYBRID (JAPAN).

Other Battery Types.
Lithium Fe PO4 batteries are by far the lightest battery option available and for anyone wanting to minimise weight they are the obvious, undisputed choice.
For others such as myself, they offer nowhere near the cost-efficiency of AGM/Gel hybrid batteries.

Lead/Carbon batteries are clearly the coming thing, but as yet they are very expensive with very limited availability and choice of battery capacity. Indicative prices are :-
PbCarbon 140Ah $1130. 210Ah $1650
AGM/Gel 150Ah $490. 200Ah $595
Since both types are probably "10 year" batteries, for me, the choice is very easy.

Neville.

Teardrop

Re: AGM/Gel Hybrid Batteries.

Postby Teardrop » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:15 am

Neddy wrote:Hybrid AGM/Gel batteries are now readily available in New Zealand.

And have been for years. We have had the Synergy version since 2011. First one had a fault with both replaced under warranty after about 16 months. The replacements (100 a/hr x 2) have performed flawlessly for over three years, but still too early to confirm whether they are an improvement or not as they are just like AGM's in day to day performance. For anyone with high amp requirements (e.g. coffee machine, microwave etc) they have the same voltage issues as any lead acid if the DoD is slightly down - my next choice will be lithium because of the light weight and voltage characteristics.

Dene

divxmaster
NZMCA No: 0

Postby divxmaster » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:58 pm

Great info, I was not sure if to go AGM or Gel/AGM, but this certainly decides in favour of Gel/AGM.
One thing I did note is the C100 seems lower:

Champion AGM 100Ah (C10) is 130Ah (C100)
NPS AGM/GEL 100Ah (C10) is 111Ah (C100).

As I would be drawing at mostly C100, this is affected.
Would still go with 2x 100AH Agm/Gel though.

Cheers,
Mike

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Neddy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:01 pm

HI Mike,
That's 2x 12volt batteries in parallel? (Or are you perhaps running 24 volt House electrics)
If you are wanting 12 volt House batteries, in my opinion, a better option would be to run 2x 6 volt batteries in series. This option would cost $90 more, but it is the one I think I will opt for.
That C10/C100 gap does look a bit odd, but I wouldn't worry about it.
Look at it this way - One option can give you 1700 50% cycles.
The other option can give you...... none!

Neville.

malcybabe
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 32082

Postby malcybabe » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:12 pm

Hi Neddy did check out the website however missed sizes and I need the height as I am restricted because of where batteries are in my nissan civilian they are in a battery drawer I could only put AAsolar 140 amp hour batteries x 2 in my cubby hole because larger batteries where to high Malcolm

divxmaster

Postby divxmaster » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:59 pm

@malcybabe - search for 'energy unlimited nps' on trademe, that is the same company and shows the sizes (dualcom TA Leds Ltd).

@Neddy, never thought of running 4x6v in 2x2 series/parallel. What are the advantages of this?
I will be running 12v electrics, but am in the design stage at the moment. Space is very restricted
as it will be a (2011+) Hiace, so may not fit four batteries.

Cheers,
Mike.

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Neddy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:29 pm

What capacity 12v House batteries do you want, Mike?
Sometimes space constraints control battery choice - how much space have you got?
It is best to avoid paralleling batteries unless you really have to. 2x 100Ah 12 volt batteries in parallel will give you 200Ah. 2X6v 200Ah batteries in series would give you the same 200Ah capacity for roughly the same space, cost and weight but it would be a better setup with half the number of cells of twice the size. Assuming that you want 200Ah, have you considered a single 200Ah 12 volt battery? That is a really good cheap option if you have got a suitable space for it.

Neville.

divxmaster

Postby divxmaster » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:07 pm

Hi Neville,
Well the plan is actually to set up initially one 100ah 12v, and some good solar capacity.
We would only be travelling 2 weeks a year over summer, plus the odd day
trip. Only parking up max 3 days.
If we need another battery, then the space would already be ready beside
the first battery, with the terminals etc. just bolt in.

The only issue I see with 2x6v, is that if one battery dies, then no power.

Mostly we should be fully charged all day, if the sun is out.

I have 4.5kw on my garage roof, so know the charging patterns,etc.

btw, 1x200ah wont fit, too long.

cheers,
Mike.

Return to “Electrical”