AGM/Gel Hybrid Batteries.

markcraven
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 42219

Re: AGM/Gel Hybrid Batteries.

Postby markcraven » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:30 am

To clarify I have 2 x 6V lifeline batteries in series. I had my battery supplier (who is the also the NZ Ctek distributor) to check with the battery manufacturer if it was suitable as they are only the ones who can provide that information. The suppliers don't have that depth of knowledge.

I would advise that you do the same Mike. Looking at the manual the D250S can be used with batteries of 40-300Ah and the Smartpass 28-800Ah but again you should check with the battery manufacturer.

Remember that this is a smart battery charger and will charge quickly in the bulk stage but then take hours and hours to get the last 20% or so in and that is where the solar is good.
I have a 120A alternator on my 2.5l diesel engine and when the batteries are around the 50% level you do notice slightly the high current draw, especially when going up hills, but this is only for a short while as the batteries accept the charge and tail off like all lead acids do and as it moves through all of its charging stages. The Ctek units also have temperature probes attached to the side of your batteries to check for overheating.

Personally I was disappointed with the solar input option and now have separate fully programmable regulator as I intend to switch to lithium at some point. I think it may have been my unusual choice of amorphous solar cells (that have have low Voc) that may have caused the problem with the solar input on the D250S but some other forums have alao reported problems aa well. Some even blaming the version of software in the unit.
http://www.facebook.com/blackboxelectricalengineering
http://theminimal2.blogspot.co.nz

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 21917

Postby Neddy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:08 am

nisseven wrote:If you had a dedicated house battery alternator that was capable of say 80 amps and you ran it at the same time as you were using an inverter drawing say 180 amps, would the alternator take up some of this draw?
Bruce
Yes, it would.

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Neddy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:43 am

Mark, your Premium quality AGM batteries have been designed to be charged at up to 1000 amps.

It would be most unfortunate if Mike applied your experience to the AGM/Gel battery he is thinking of buying. 

I would agree with your criticism of any controller that charges every type of battery at the same voltage.
One size does NOT fit all and the best regulators are fully user programmable.

Neville.

markcraven
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 42219

Postby markcraven » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:07 am

Hi Neville

That's why I think it is important to check with his battery manufacturer. John at element82 is the NZ Ctek distributor and he checked with lifeline batteries which he also sells. So he had a double motivated reason to get it right!
http://www.facebook.com/blackboxelectricalengineering
http://theminimal2.blogspot.co.nz

divxmaster
NZMCA No: 0

Postby divxmaster » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:58 am

Well certainly a lot to think about.
I think I will investigate these lifeline AGM batteries instead. I'd rather run the smartpass and d250s and change
battery. The functionality of the ctek gear is too good to pass up. That is quite a difference, Lifeline AGM's
can be charged at 1000A but 80A would kill a gel/agm!
The MPPT controller on the D250S is just a bonus, I would quite happily put in another controller if it doesn't
work out.

@Neddy, remember the D250S locks output voltage at 14.4v. So this should be the voltage Mark is using.

Cheers,
Mike.

divxmaster

Postby divxmaster » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:17 am

I checked out the lifeline GPL-30HT 12v, 150ah/20,
it looks pretty good. 1000 cycles 50% DOD.
550 cycles 80% DOD!! That's impressive if it can do that.

can be charged at up to 375 amps.

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Neddy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:44 am

"I think I will investigate these lifeline AGM batteries instead."
If you really do want to sustain very high charge currents you would do better to investigate Lithium batteries.
That's why Mark is looking to change to them.

"The functionality of the Ctek gear is too good to pass up."
By passing it up you stand to gain very useful basic functionality that is standard with most other controllers.

"That is quite a difference, Lifeline AGM's can be charged at 1000A but 80A would kill a gel/agm".
Given your circumstances, this big difference is totally irrelevant.
With the Ctek D250 you are restricted to a 20 amp MAXIMUM from your solar panels or engine electrics.
Which, incidentally, would be more than adequate for your setup.
You have no need to charge your battery at 50 amps, 100 amps or 375 amps - let alone a thousand!!!

"The MPPT controller on the D250S is just a bonus, I would quite happily put in another controller if it doesn't
work out."

It hasn't worked out for Mark - why pay extra for something that has such limited functionality?

"Neddy, remember the D250S locks output voltage at 14.4v. So this should be the voltage Mark is using."
But, unlike most other controllers, with the Ctek controller there is no other option available to him!
He cannot, for example, charge his batteries at 14.2 volts if he wanted to maximise their life.
He cannot charge them at 14.6 volts if he wanted to increase the charge current.
Similarly, Mark has been unable to set the Float voltage to that recommended by the manufacturer of his Lifeline batteries - he has been stuck with the single locked-in value that Ctek enforces for all batteries regardless of their type.

divxmaster

Postby divxmaster » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:49 am

Exactly!

My latest plan is to
get just the D250S and wire it up leaving space for a smartpass. Then I can see how basic 20A charging
from the D250S works out

quoting myself from earlier. D250S probably will be sufficient at 20A

Return to “Electrical”