Flooded Battery Failure

rawill
NZMCA No: 16590

Re: Flooded Battery Failure

Postby rawill » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:34 am

I can so easily disconnect the vertical one, that is not an issue, and soon will be able to disconnect the horizontal ones as well.
The 4 panels are in parallel.

So maybe dedicated controller controller for the vertical one would improve the output.

I will keep investigating.

Thank you all
Robin and Averil 16590 - Crusin - 1989 Nissan Condor - 28 sq meters CSC - toad 010 Micra - (1978 Mitsi Canter which must go!~!)

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 21917

Postby Neddy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:44 am

"Maybe a dedicated controller controller for the vertical one would improve the output."

It sure would. Low output from the vertical panel would then not reduce the output of the other panels - and low output from the other panels would not reduce the vertical panels output.

Do you know the voltages of the other 4 panels?

Neville.

muzzanic
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 52739

Postby muzzanic » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:47 am

That would be a good place to start for sure.

Also check if the other panels are a match with each other, We might get you to a good 510 W system yet :TU

This will help with not taking the battery's as deep a discharge & make them last longer.

Murray :TU
Murray and Niki.
'Riders Retreat'
2007 Mitsi Fuso Canter 3.9 Turbo Diesel , 520w Solar, 500 A/h Lithium batteries
Maxxair Vents, 130L 12v Fridge. 240v Inverters 2500w,190L water.
We also have a second 1 of these campers with a tow bar that we rent out.

rawill
NZMCA No: 16590

Postby rawill » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:15 am

muzzanic wrote:That would be a good place to start for sure.

Also check if the other panels are a match with each other, We might get you to a good 510 W system yet :TU

This will help with not taking the battery's as deep a discharge & make them last longer.

Murray :TU

Again, thank you for your patience!

Just checked the voltages (but they mislead me before! - I will explain)
Roof panels, 20.8, 21.8, 21.1.
Vertical panel 20.4
However, the roof panel at 20.8 is putting in no amps!
The other 2 roof panels are putting in 4..0, and 4.5.
The vertical panel 1.6. at the time of recording.

So one roof panel has failed.
i checked the voltages before we left and thought it was ok as it read 20.8.
however its mate died 2 years ago, and I have be suspicious, but we will no go there.
I did a big post about it when it failed, and go one post deleted because of it!
So given that the sun is not right up there yet, I expect the remaining roof panels to do the job for us this trip.
Then I will get another panel, and attempt to repair the failed one.
Water will have got inside it and corroded some connections inside, it might be a throwaway item.

And I will get another controller, I only intend, long term to have about 120-240 watts vertical so all will be well.
And I will have 360-480 on the roof. But the problem with me has been adding like topsy, as I could afford to, rather than 1 big jump!
Robin and Averil 16590 - Crusin - 1989 Nissan Condor - 28 sq meters CSC - toad 010 Micra - (1978 Mitsi Canter which must go!~!)

Desultory

Postby Desultory » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:58 pm

Hey Rawill,

Interesting thread, and it's also interesting that the previous panel failed and that you've talked about corrosion inside the rear junction box (where the diodes are etc).

Many people are not aware that there are many different qualities in panels and specifically good quality panels use a good quality IP66/IP67 Junction box (that have rubber weather protection seals so water doesn't get inside the Jbox) where as cheaper panels that I've seen (obviously not all of them fall into the same boat) can often be found that are NOT even IP55 rated and do not even contain any weather proof rubber seals.

Long story short is that Junction boxes without the correct IP Ratings and correct weather proof rubber sealings can easily end up getting moisture / water inside of them which can easily corrode and short out the diodes & connection inside the junction box which in turn then stop the panel producing it's correct output.

I'm not saying that you cannot just remove the panel from the roof top, undo the junction box and re-solder new fresh diodes in there, get rid of the corrosion etc and clean the thing up again so that it "Could" become a working panel again, as yes you are right that is more than likely possible.

However what I'm trying to say here is that if at the time the panel was built if they had just spent an extra $2-3 more putting a good quality weatherproof IP rated Junction box with good weatherproof seals then likely it would save many of these exact problems from occurring.

If you are opening up the junction box and you do find corrosion inside, then it might be a good idea after you repair it to try and use a good waterproof outdoor rated sealant to try and stop water getting inside the jbox in the future.

[self promotion

PS: Regarding your batteries, yeah your flooded batteries were never receiving the correct equalize voltage to stop the batteries sulphating them up. Rest assured though even AGM batteries can become sulphated if they are left for periods in a low discharged state[self promotion.

Regards
Steve

RaymonD
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 13106

Postby RaymonD » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:00 pm

Geez Robin you are having a rough time, have just read this thread, lots of interesting comments and theories and at this point in time I am not prepared to make any suggestions, but do have a query from those that may know more than I, "IF" solar panels have diode protection on there output, how can a faulty panel pull down the others ????
RaymonD

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.’" Hubert Humphrey

Return to “Electrical”