Flooded Battery Failure

rawill
NZMCA No: 16590

Re: Flooded Battery Failure

Postby rawill » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:57 am

Dene, yes, the Prostar does do that,
As does the Auxilliary Battery charger (ABC) I have from West Electronics.
I use this from time to time.

I guess I should have mentioned the ABC as well, but thought, maybe wrongly, that it might confuse the issue.

And I think you are right, the problem maybe elsewhere.
But clearly I have got something wrong.
Robin and Averil 16590 - Crusin - 1989 Nissan Condor - 28 sq meters CSC - toad 010 Micra - (1978 Mitsi Canter which must go!~!)

Teardrop

Postby Teardrop » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:20 am

Robin, The Prostar and no controller will put an equalisation cycle through on a sealed battery setting. And on most you need to do it manually. The automatic ones will only do it if plugged in for a long time and you have the battery set to a storage setting. I still think sulphation from undercharging is the likely cause. And if your bore water is highly mineralised, you will be giving it a good head start.

Dene

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 21917

Postby Neddy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:57 pm

Teardrop wrote:Robin, The Prostar and no controller will put an equalisation cycle through on a sealed battery setting. Dene.

Not so. The ProStar most certainly does have an Equalisation cycle when on a "Sealed" battery setting.
It runs it at 14.35 volts for 1 hour with the time starting when the voltage is above 14.3v.

"On most you need to do it manually. The automatic ones will only do it if plugged in for a long time...."
Not so. The ProStar does it completely automatically every 25 days.

"... and you have the battery set to a storage setting."
Not so. The ProStar performs completely automatic equalisation when on the "Sealed" battery setting.
It also performs completely automatic Equalisation when on the "Flooded" battery setting. Again, this is every 25 days, but using 14.9 volts for one hour, with the time starting from when the battery is above 14.6 volts.

Neville.

markcraven
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 42219

Postby markcraven » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:08 pm

Just thinking a little outside of the square. Do you charge off your engine using the alternator and if you do what is the voltage on the battery terminals when running the engine at cruising RPM?
http://www.facebook.com/blackboxelectricalengineering
http://theminimal2.blogspot.co.nz

Teardrop

Postby Teardrop » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:27 pm

As for previous comments by Neddy, fair enough about the Pro-Star specifically, having now read those instructions. But it does not change what I was trying to say at all. Which is that those batteries have never been equalised if in a sealed battery setting. And they have probably been eternally undercharged, at least while on solar.

At least Mark has put forward a positive idea. Mark, are you thinking the alternator regulation could be too high. My thought is that that would show in battery water usage , and the start batteries would also show similar symptoms??

Dene

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 21917

Postby Neddy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:41 pm

Teardrop wrote:Those batteries have never been equalised if in a sealed battery setting. Dene.

But, but, Dene, they HAVE been equalised! Automatically! Every 25 days! Using Sealed Battery settings!

Teardrop

Postby Teardrop » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:37 pm

You're stuttering Neddy. I think you need to do a bit more study on this. Just to assist, equalising a battery is a forced charge at higher voltage to boil and stir the liquid up. Even 14.9 volts doesn't really cut it but it seems what Morningstar has done is to choose the lowest setting they think may do the job. The problem with a proper equalisation charge is that it can be too high for some sensitive electrical gear, hence why they need to be manually engaged. Morningstar has obviously tried to get around this by lowering the equalising voltage, below what most battery manufacturers historically recommended for equalisation. As for the sealed battery equalising voltage, a total waste of time for a flooded battery which will normally charge at that anyway. How you think that will equalise a battery I would love to know.

Dene

rawill
NZMCA No: 16590

Postby rawill » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:02 pm

Hi guys, I will check, but I am almost 100% sure that the Prostar does do the equalisation, and as Neddy says, around 25 days.
I will have to find the manual.

The house batteries are 12v, the starter 24v, and charging via the truck alternator is done via the ABC (West Electronics - Whangamata) I mentioned.
It is a 24/12 charger, and operates as a pulse charger when the batteries are "full", by pulse I mean, high amps for "short bursts",
as an aid to correcting the sulphating issue.

The ABC definately reaches into the 15+ volts range, at times, the unit is fitted with a charge light so you can see it cycling.
I have it connected so I can manually charge the 12v system from the 24v batteries without the engine running, set to stop doing this when the 24v voltage drops to a point I consider safe to still be able to start the truck.

Now where is the Prostar Manual!
If I can't find it I will email Morningstar. They are usually very helpful.
Robin and Averil 16590 - Crusin - 1989 Nissan Condor - 28 sq meters CSC - toad 010 Micra - (1978 Mitsi Canter which must go!~!)

Return to “Electrical”