Pardon me if this is a dumb question

Teardrop

Re: Pardon me if this is a dumb question

Postby Teardrop » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:09 am

cherokee94nz wrote:Due to wind coming in gusts at times I would say if at any time you are feeling not happy driving in high winds its time to park up somewhere until the wind drops.

Very sensible advice I think. Wind speed over land is too variable depending on the terrain. Wind strengthens when it goes through gaps and gullies. Katabatic winds suddenly roll down slopes and hit you where there was little wind before. The risk of having a wind speed indicator (anemometer) is it might give a false sense of security. By the time it gives a reading, the wind has already hit and the way the vehicle behaves is your true guide.

Dene.

Mark S.
NZMCA No: 5173

Postby Mark S. » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:16 pm

Travelling in Wairarapa last year, I think we spent more time driving on the right than the left and we're 7 tonne. In the end got tired of fighting and hid out behind a hall for 24 hours.

Jip.C.Jaybird
NZMCA No: 33626

Postby Jip.C.Jaybird » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:14 pm

Mmm yes, I know what you mean about those sneaky wind gusts. It was also the Wairarapa where we had to hide behind a hall - even then it did not feel too safe.
That's sounds like a good tip Gordon, about the road markers. I'll remember that one.

kiwigold
NZMCA No: 40111

Postby kiwigold » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:26 pm

I would go easy on the Baked Beans. That may solve the problem. :D

Cheers Trev
Trev

Roamnz
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 29430

Postby Roamnz » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:32 pm

Jip.C.Jaybird wrote:Hi Grant. That looks interesting.
Nev. What leaves? They had all blown off the trees. :D when Southerners talk about wind speed it means the type that sissy Northerners would be hiding under the blankets type of wind.

Jeannie you had better keep your wits about you dear girl, comments like that may leave some Northerners 'open mouthed' and having to get their big girl's bloomers on' and post their displeasure at you daring to call Northerners sissys! :-T :-T :-T

All said completely tongue in cheek Jeannie, you go girl, great to see that you are out enjoying your new little camper. :D
Smillie H

Jip.C.Jaybird
NZMCA No: 33626

Postby Jip.C.Jaybird » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:10 pm

Hahhaha Smillie. Nice to see you.
It must be The World Cup influence on me ?? ie stir up those over the wee ditch ie Cook Strait. I'll behave now .....I think.
I love you Northerners (mostly) really :roll: :Y
Now, to get back on track. The replies as usual, are really helpful. Thank you All.

MikeBravo
NZMCA No: 15196

Postby MikeBravo » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:26 pm

Portable anemometers are expensive, and in this case a waste of money.
Look at the clouds. If they're moving faster than usual, park up and put the kettle on.

Return to “Electrical”