understanding wiring set-up, batteries

joncar
NZMCA No: 61614

understanding wiring set-up, batteries

Postby joncar » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:12 pm

On studying the set-up of the wiring on my house and crank battery, I am now totally confused.
I purchased the m/home project with the batteries / solar panel already in place (professionally done?). All appears to be working OK but am now wondering if the solar panel is also charging the crank battery too. Reason: There is a relay (Britax R4-1280R) connected to both house and crank + battery terminals. Also, both - battery terminals are connected too.
I have 2x 130AH 'Crown' batteries in parallel and the crank battery is 12v 'Ultra' N120U.
Also, can I charge another (small) battery just by connecting jumper leads to the house battery ( the one where the solar terminals connect to) or is it a big NoNo!... The battery in question is only 2 years old and off an old ride-on mower. It is only used now as a 12v source in my 'man cave', and has dropped down to 9.8v. Hope this all makes sense!

John

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 21917

Re: understanding wiring set-up, batteries

Postby Neddy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:45 pm

"There is a relay connected to both house and crank + battery terminals.
Also, both - battery terminals are connected"

This relay will be connecting your Starter and House batteries in parallel whenever it is energised - most probably by the ignition key, perhaps on the ACC connection. It would be good to confirm this point.

" I am wondering if the solar panel is also charging the crank battery".
It will be contributing something, but only when the relay is energised.

"Can I charge another (small, 12 volt) battery just by connecting jumper leads to the house battery?"
Sure you can.

"The battery in question is only used now as a 12v source in my 'man cave', and has dropped down to 9.8v."
This battery could well be completely shot, in which case you certainly do not want it parallelled up with your House battery. Test it first. See if a mains-powered charger can bring it up to "charged" voltage.
If it can't, your solar panels won't be able to either and it would simply be a drain on your resources.

Neville.

joncar
NZMCA No: 61614

Re: understanding wiring set-up, batteries

Postby joncar » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:14 pm

Thanks Neville for your prompt reply.
Makes all look clearer now. I will get the old battery checked out.

John

Return to “Electrical”