Lithium batteries

Teardrop

Lithium batteries

Postby Teardrop » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:06 pm

A supplier of American Valence Lithium batteries is closing down. 100 amp hour for $500.00. Still in packaging. Has about 20 left. If interested PM me and I will give contact details. Nothing in it for me. I just know there are a few out there who are not purchasing for price reasons and this could be an opportunity.

Dene

muzzanic
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 52739

Re: Lithium batteries

Postby muzzanic » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:46 pm

They are all gone, We just got the last 12 :o

Murray
Murray and Niki.
'Riders Retreat'
2007 Mitsi Fuso Canter 3.9 Turbo Diesel , 520w Solar, 500 A/h Lithium batteries
Maxxair Vents, 130L 12v Fridge. 240v Inverters 2500w,190L water.
We also have a second 1 of these campers with a tow bar that we rent out.

Teardrop

Postby Teardrop » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:57 pm

I take it you liked what you saw??

muzzanic
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 52739

Postby muzzanic » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:17 pm

Yep very happy.

Now to fit them in our van & our 2 friends camper vans.

We had written of going to Lithium for now ( as much as I like it ) But this deal was just to good to let go by, Thank you so so much for letting us know about them.

Murray
Murray and Niki.
'Riders Retreat'
2007 Mitsi Fuso Canter 3.9 Turbo Diesel , 520w Solar, 500 A/h Lithium batteries
Maxxair Vents, 130L 12v Fridge. 240v Inverters 2500w,190L water.
We also have a second 1 of these campers with a tow bar that we rent out.

scubadoo
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 50365
Location: Ex Kapiti - Now homeless and free to roam. We could be anywhere.

Postby scubadoo » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:27 pm

Dene

Probably not the correct place to post but I just read your query on another forum.

Stick to the Lithium setting on your Victron solar controller.
Your new batteries will thank you for it. A long term 13.8V float would be too high for me.
Neville
Mitsi Fuso CI Ultimate 6.8m 3.9 T/D. 180l fresh/grey. Single 300Ah LiFePO4 for truck/house.
600W solar. Victron 50A MPPT. 6kW Webasto diesel water/air heater.
255l Samsung 230VAC digital inverter fridge/freezer.Gas cooking/oven.

Teardrop

Postby Teardrop » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:56 pm

Thanks Neville,

That's what I've done at the moment because I'm too scared to do otherwise. I might change the settings manually in due course, but just looking at the controller it seems you need a special connection for the USB - is that correct? I was hoping to get the batteries up to their capacity, and Valence say their max voltage is 14.6 and Float Voltage is 13.8. They are a lot different from the Chinese style batteries of which we have had a 100 amp hr one for a couple of years - which incidentally dropped a cell on me the other day (which is what resulted in all this happening in a hurry). These Valence ones also do their own internal cell balancing which is a plus.

Dene

scubadoo
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 50365
Location: Ex Kapiti - Now homeless and free to roam. We could be anywhere.

Postby scubadoo » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:01 pm

Mark please move/split this appropriately if necessary.

Yes, they do require either an expensive dedicated VE.Direct to USB adaptor or if you are up to it a DIY mockup equivalent.
I purchased a few of these $2 devices and have successfully talked to the controller with the Victron mpptprefs program but at the moment I'm happy enough with the default lithium setting.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-To-RS232-TT ... XQTT9Rxubc

Even AA Solar recommend a bulk 14.6V charge for my Sinopoly 4 cell pack but that certainly causes my cells to drift a little (up to 0.15V) from the usual perfect voltage balance.
With the alternator limited to 14.1V and the Victron to 14.2 bulk the cell voltages remain almost identical.
The Victron quickly floats at 13.4V and appears to remain there for the rest of the day.

The Alphatron technical guy seemed pleasant enough and may be happy to program the controller if asked nicely. :?: ;)
Neville
Mitsi Fuso CI Ultimate 6.8m 3.9 T/D. 180l fresh/grey. Single 300Ah LiFePO4 for truck/house.
600W solar. Victron 50A MPPT. 6kW Webasto diesel water/air heater.
255l Samsung 230VAC digital inverter fridge/freezer.Gas cooking/oven.

Teardrop

Postby Teardrop » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:24 pm

Thanks Neville, I will leave it at the auto Li setting for now. Its just that you can tell from voltage what a lead acid battery is holding at (within reason), but not with a Lithium, so have no idea how much capacity I will be missing out on. Probably won't make any difference - time will tell.

Dene

Return to “Electrical”