Gas fitting, change or not in an older Motorhome?

little MAC
NZMCA No: 0

Gas fitting, change or not in an older Motorhome?

Postby little MAC » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:31 am

What are the gas requirement changes (if needed) for an older 1986 motorhome? We have purchased this recently and I see the bottle compartment is under the seat/bed at back. It does have a vent for outside. We will get it all checked but thought I'd ask here if anyone has had to redo the whole setup of gas in an older Motorhome. Thanks

NeilV
NZMCA No: 60322

Re: Gas fitting, change or not in an older Motorhome?

Postby NeilV » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:22 pm

little MAC wrote:What are the gas requirement changes (if needed) for an older 1986 motorhome? We have purchased this recently and I see the bottle compartment is under the seat/bed at back. It does have a vent for outside. We will get it all checked but thought I'd ask here if anyone has had to redo the whole setup of gas in an older Motorhome. Thanks

AFAIK legally if you change nothing it's still valid (if installed according to the regs at the time - none :-T ) BUT if you change ANYTHING (and I'd get any rubber hoses checked very carefully myself :shock: ) then you're legally required to get a gas fitter to do the work, and he's legally required to report any 'dangerous' installation.

AFAIK (again my understanding as a DIY'r NOT "gasman") is that your bottle under the bad is now considered dangerous... so could be pricy to even get the hoses checked! :roll:
8.5m 1990 Dennis Dart bus, 6L turbo -4 pax
- 24v system: 2x 104ah AGM, 20a PWM controller 500W solar; 1200w puresine inverter
120L grey/fresh water, 75L compressor fridge, gas Califont, Diesel MK85 heater [awaiting install]

little MAC

Postby little MAC » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:16 pm

Thanks NeilV for your reply,
Would feel safer getting it checked. Like you said the hoses at least!

aklbob

Postby aklbob » Tue May 30, 2017 1:16 pm

Good idea to check the install, my old van had garden hose for the gas bottle to hob connection.. !
Toyota Dyna 100 coachbuilt A to Z Japanese built camper
2.4L diesel (2L motor)
2 Berth
Self contained (70L fresh, 35L waste)
80ah deep cycle battery

mattn
NZMCA No: 44845

Postby mattn » Tue May 30, 2017 3:19 pm

Well worth getting it checked. Many of those old installs had unflued fridges and were not compliant with the regulations at the time. Throw in 30 years of DIY maintenance things like rubber hose being replaced but using jubilee clips happened. Much of the stuff done is would not meet the definition of unsafe, but it does not meet the standard to be considered safe. (Loosely the definition of Safe is unlikely to cause harm, Unsafe is likely to cause harm, there is a big gap in the middle)

Probably worth knowing that the gas fitter cannot do anything on the installation without your permission. He cannot disconnect things and make them inoperable. If you feel they are insisting on doing something that may not be needed, you have the right to get a second opinion. If a gas fitter says its dangerous and he wants to fix it now, I suggest listening before refusing......

In my mind installing LPG and CO alarms is a wise investment. In an older motor home with appliances that may not have things like automatic gas shut off and proper ventilation etc, it is even more important.
Don't be alarmed when you see me talking to myself, I am getting expert advice.

Return to “Gas”