Oh no I am not sure now if we can put our gas bottle

Wornout
NZMCA No: 0

Oh no I am not sure now if we can put our gas bottle

Postby Wornout » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:25 pm

We were going great sticking to compliance with the waste water and fresh water But now I have been told there is a regulation on gas.
We have a Toyota LWB van with a pop top.
Under the bed(which goes accross the van) in the very back so when you lift the back door you can see under the bed where we have put the water tanks we were going to put the gas bottle underthere to. But now I read that we have to have a sealed compartment that has to be vented outside and remove tank from an outside hatch.(which we were going to vent with a hole in the van floor and were hoping that when we opened the van back door we could just remove the bottle and fill it).Also I read somwhere that the fridge has to be in a sealed area. ours is in a cupboard type thing with the stove on top vented with 2 big grills , a hole in the van wall and a hole in the floor. These things were like that when we bought the van.
Can someone please in basic terms what we really do need.
We have been so good we have made the 2 cabnets one for the sink with draws etc right down to edge banding all the special wood we bought.One for the stove and fridge the stove part is lined with Aluminium. before it was all painted ply so we ripped the whole lot out.
I hope all our hard work is not for nothing

mattn
NZMCA No: 44845

Re: Oh no I am not sure now if we can put our gas bottle

Postby mattn » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:00 pm

As all gas fitting work must be completed by a registered gas fitter (or whatever legal term they use these days), it would be worth discussing this with the gas fitter who will be connecting up the appliances and certifying the work.

It is acceptable to have the bottle accessed from inside the van as long as its in a locker with a sealed door/lid and the locker is vented outside (with holes of a minimum size). Therefore what you plan to do can be made legal. Bottle must also be secured.

The fridge must be room sealed - meaning the air it burns must come from outside and the burnt gas must exhaust outside. The burner must not be able to exhaust fumes into the living space. If the stove top has holes that let air from behind the fridge into the living space, the installation is probably not compliant but I may be wrong - check with your gas fitter - as the exhaust flue is vented outside it may be acceptable for the back of the fridge to be open to living space, but that is not how its usually done.

My understanding is cook tops are allowed to vent into living space provided adequate ventilation is provided that cannot be shut off (and I think you need warning signs about opening windows, but that may only be an EU regulation). If you can seal all vents the cooker will fail to meet compliance. This ventilation is normally achieved with floor vents.
Don't be alarmed when you see me talking to myself, I am getting expert advice.

Return to “Gas”